Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric ripped (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-ripped-t301401.html)

Tippysmom 12-07-2018 03:15 PM

Fabric ripped

I sewed the binding in a Christmas quilt I made and turned it to the back to hand sew it on. I sewed the first corner and sewed across the row only to find that the corner fabric had ripped cleanly in half, so that it is on each side of the corner, but not connected.

This has never happened to me before and I’m at a loss as to what to do, especially when I checked the other two corners and they were ripped, too. At no time did I manhandle the quilt and the fabric was purchased in September. It wasn’t cheap fabric, but a brand name.

Has anyone experienced this, and if so, what did you do?

Please help, someone!

GingerK 12-07-2018 03:23 PM

My goodness! Can you post a picture please? I have never experienced or heard of this happening before.

Tartan 12-07-2018 03:27 PM

I have not had any fabric rip like that even with older scraps. Do you have enough of the fabric left to bring it back to the store with the quilt? Not an option if it was bought online, I would ask the online company if they can give you a refund. As for fixing, you might be able to appliqué in new pieces?

Onebyone 12-07-2018 04:00 PM

I can't understand what happened without a picture. When you say split in half, the whole quilt, batting top and backing? Or the binding split or just the top?

bakermom 12-07-2018 04:14 PM

Just a thought-did you trim the bulk out of the corner and maybe cut wrong? Not that i ever did that........

Jingle 12-07-2018 05:41 PM

I can't picture in my head what you are talking about.

SillySusan 12-07-2018 05:58 PM

I never had an experience like you are describing, but if I did and it was fairly new fabric, I'd complain... loudly if necessary! You should get your money back at the very least.

zozee 12-07-2018 06:36 PM

Can we get a picture?

cathyvv 12-07-2018 07:26 PM

It was probably not caused by trimming the quilt incorrectly. That might happen on one corner, but is unlikely on three corners.

The only suggestion I have is what others have suggested. If you have enough of it, take some back to the store you bought the fabric from and ask for your money back. It would help if you still have the receipt. You have nothing to lose by asking. You may not get all your money back, but even an adjustment would be nice at this point.

Daylesewblessed 12-07-2018 08:04 PM

Are you talking about the binding? Was your binding cut on the bias or on the straight grain? Is the split right at the point of the corner. I cannot picture this. Are your corners mitered? If so, is the tear on right on the fold of the 45 degree angle? Have you used this fabric elsewhere on this quilt or anywhere else? If you have a piece of it left, can you test it for strength?