Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabric ripped

Unhappy Fabric ripped

I sewed the binding in a Christmas quilt I made and turned it to the back to hand sew it on. I sewed the first corner and sewed across the row only to find that the corner fabric had ripped cleanly in half, so that it is on each side of the corner, but not connected.

This has never happened to me before and I’m at a loss as to what to do, especially when I checked the other two corners and they were ripped, too. At no time did I manhandle the quilt and the fabric was purchased in September. It wasn’t cheap fabric, but a brand name.

Has anyone experienced this, and if so, what did you do?

Please help, someone!

My goodness! Can you post a picture please? I have never experienced or heard of this happening before.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Power Poster
    I have not had any fabric rip like that even with older scraps. Do you have enough of the fabric left to bring it back to the store with the quilt? Not an option if it was bought online, I would ask the online company if they can give you a refund. As for fixing, you might be able to appliqué in new pieces?

I can't understand what happened without a picture. When you say split in half, the whole quilt, batting top and backing? Or the binding split or just the top?
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Just a thought-did you trim the bulk out of the corner and maybe cut wrong? Not that i ever did that........

I can't picture in my head what you are talking about.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I never had an experience like you are describing, but if I did and it was fairly new fabric, I'd complain... loudly if necessary! You should get your money back at the very least.

Can we get a picture?

It was probably not caused by trimming the quilt incorrectly. That might happen on one corner, but is unlikely on three corners.

The only suggestion I have is what others have suggested. If you have enough of it, take some back to the store you bought the fabric from and ask for your money back. It would help if you still have the receipt. You have nothing to lose by asking. You may not get all your money back, but even an adjustment would be nice at this point.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Are you talking about the binding? Was your binding cut on the bias or on the straight grain? Is the split right at the point of the corner. I cannot picture this. Are your corners mitered? If so, is the tear on right on the fold of the 45 degree angle? Have you used this fabric elsewhere on this quilt or anywhere else? If you have a piece of it left, can you test it for strength?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I can't picture in my head what you are talking about.
    Me either. Picture, please?

Sorry to hear this and it is so sad. Did you possibly cut the binding and fabric had cuts in it from you cutting out squares? I would think that a mistake would only happen on one area of the fabric but it is quite uncommon for the fabric to have 3 rips or cuts. I would assume it is a default in the fabric itself. Hope you get some resolution if you can take it to where you purchased the fabric.

I have a pic, but it failed to upload! Can’t figure it out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippysmom View Post
    I have a pic, but it failed to upload! Can’t figure it out.
    . the picture file is probably too big. I have to take the picture on my phone and send it to myself in an email in order to specify which size I want it saved as. That way I'm able to save it as a smaller file that the board here will accept.
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Name:  A19D1988-A9E8-4B06-B747-985E96744DD2.jpeg
Views: 961
Size:  1.77 MBName:  A19D1988-A9E8-4B06-B747-985E96744DD2.jpeg
Size:  1.77 MBThis is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippysmom View Post
    Name:  A19D1988-A9E8-4B06-B747-985E96744DD2.jpeg
Size:  1.77 MBName:  A19D1988-A9E8-4B06-B747-985E96744DD2.jpeg
Size:  1.77 MBThis is it.
    This looks like a seam was sewn too close to the edge and pressure on the seam made the threads pull out. I have only seen this in the body of a quilt when edges were not matched up as a seam was sewn, usually by a pedal to the metal seamstress. Perhaps you can ease in some fullness by ripping out a few inches and easing in the fabric when you resew.

What a strange thing that's happened to your binding. If you have more of the same fabric, I would take out the ripped piece & splice in a good piece & finish the quilt. If you don't have enough of the same fabric maybe you could rip out each corner of binding & splice in a piece of different fabric on each corner making it look like it was suppose to be made that way. No one will ever know if you don't tell them. Hope this makes sense.

That is the oddest thing and you say 3 of your 4 corners have the same tear in them? There are no minute tears anywere else? I can't even begin to guess how this could have happened. It seems to me if the fabric was defective in someway there would be tears/rips in other places and not just at the corners of your binding. Being right at the corners and looking like you were doing a mitered corner binding, I am wondering if the fabric is getting caught on your sewing machine or something on your sewing table when you remove the quilt to miter the corners. Very odd and not sure how to solve the issue either. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

That is what I would do, too. That is much easier/quicker than replacing the entire binding.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

mkc
    What method are you using to attach the binding to the front side? Regular machine and 1/4" seam? Serger? If the latter is there any chance the blade could have cut the binding when you pivoted at the corner?

osewme, I think you have the best idea since I have leftover fabric. To other posters: no, I didn’t use a serger or get the fabric caught in feed dogs. I do have leftover fabric so I’ll try your method.

to everyone, thank you for your comments and ideas. I’ll let you all know how it comes out!

Power Poster
    Is it possible that someone used a box cutter to cut off the plastic wrapping from a new bolt of fabric? That is the only thing I can think of to score new fabric like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Is it possible that someone used a box cutter to cut off the plastic wrapping from a new bolt of fabric? That is the only thing I can think of to score new fabric like that.
    ............ but for it to end up right on the three corners????
    Not too likely it could happen with such precision!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

You said you have enough matching fabric and that's great but I was going to suggest using either a solid or the background fabric of the quilt just to make it look like an intentional thing. Would be interested if you ever figure out what caused this situation. Have no suggestion from here. Love your fabrics for this Christmas piece!

Yikes! Using your extra fabric to fix is what I would recommend. The fabric is adorable by the way! You are close to the finish line here - pick a solution and move on. Since it is on three out of four of the corners my guess it is something you did that you usually do not do. Hopefully you will figure it out.

If it were me, I would rip out the three corners and put in new binding. Quick question - did you trim anything on the corners? I did that only once (lol) because I ended up with seams right at two corners, it looked too bulky, I was in a hurry and wasn't thinking. So snip snip ..... The resulting disaster looked similar. When I went to turn it, the cuts were right there. I ended up ripping out about a foot on each side and replacing the corners. Good luck!
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast