Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric ripped (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-ripped-t301401.html)

Tippysmom 12-08-2018 07:03 PM

osewme, I think you have the best idea since I have leftover fabric. To other posters: no, I didn’t use a serger or get the fabric caught in feed dogs. I do have leftover fabric so I’ll try your method.

to everyone, thank you for your comments and ideas. I’ll let you all know how it comes out!

Tartan 12-08-2018 08:39 PM

Is it possible that someone used a box cutter to cut off the plastic wrapping from a new bolt of fabric? That is the only thing I can think of to score new fabric like that.

QuiltE 12-08-2018 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8173176)
Is it possible that someone used a box cutter to cut off the plastic wrapping from a new bolt of fabric? That is the only thing I can think of to score new fabric like that.

............ but for it to end up right on the three corners????
Not too likely it could happen with such precision!

illinois 12-09-2018 04:09 AM

You said you have enough matching fabric and that's great but I was going to suggest using either a solid or the background fabric of the quilt just to make it look like an intentional thing. Would be interested if you ever figure out what caused this situation. Have no suggestion from here. Love your fabrics for this Christmas piece!

eparys 12-09-2018 04:52 AM

Yikes! Using your extra fabric to fix is what I would recommend. The fabric is adorable by the way! You are close to the finish line here - pick a solution and move on. Since it is on three out of four of the corners my guess it is something you did that you usually do not do. Hopefully you will figure it out.

If it were me, I would rip out the three corners and put in new binding. Quick question - did you trim anything on the corners? I did that only once (lol) because I ended up with seams right at two corners, it looked too bulky, I was in a hurry and wasn't thinking. So snip snip ..... The resulting disaster looked similar. When I went to turn it, the cuts were right there. I ended up ripping out about a foot on each side and replacing the corners. Good luck!

maviskw 12-09-2018 06:11 AM

I think I know what happened. It has happened to me, but only once. After the binding is put on, I then trim the batt and back. I do this because I want to measure the width of the cut from the sewing line that put the binding on. If I leave 3/8 of an inch from the sewing line, the binding is full of batt and back. But because that fold of the binding is right on the edge, it is very easy to just cut right through it. I think that's what you did.

Others have suggested ways to fix it, but next time fold those corners down and pin them down before you trim.
Good luck.

Peckish 12-10-2018 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 8173310)
I think I know what happened. It has happened to me, but only once. After the binding is put on, I then trim the batt and back. I do this because I want to measure the width of the cut from the sewing line that put the binding on. If I leave 3/8 of an inch from the sewing line, the binding is full of batt and back. But because that fold of the binding is right on the edge, it is very easy to just cut right through it. I think that's what you did.

Others have suggested ways to fix it, but next time fold those corners down and pin them down before you trim.
Good luck.

I agree with this. I noticed the cuts are ALL in the exact same spot, so I don't think the box cutter was the culprit.

Darcyshannon 12-10-2018 01:26 PM

I love this fabric. Urban Chicks I think.

jokir44 12-10-2018 04:04 PM

I'm with Mavita and Peggi. Seems to have been done in the trimming. I know this can happen but don't make me embarrass myself and say how I know.:eek: