Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric ripped (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-ripped-t301401.html)

Peckish 12-07-2018 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 8172490)
I can't picture in my head what you are talking about.

Me either. Picture, please?

Jordan 12-08-2018 07:15 AM

Sorry to hear this and it is so sad. Did you possibly cut the binding and fabric had cuts in it from you cutting out squares? I would think that a mistake would only happen on one area of the fabric but it is quite uncommon for the fabric to have 3 rips or cuts. I would assume it is a default in the fabric itself. Hope you get some resolution if you can take it to where you purchased the fabric.

Tippysmom 12-08-2018 10:42 AM

I have a pic, but it failed to upload! Can’t figure it out.

PamelaOry 12-08-2018 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tippysmom (Post 8172891)
I have a pic, but it failed to upload! Can’t figure it out.

. the picture file is probably too big. I have to take the picture on my phone and send it to myself in an email in order to specify which size I want it saved as. That way I'm able to save it as a smaller file that the board here will accept.

Tippysmom 12-08-2018 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]604953[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]604953[/ATTACH]This is it.

elnan 12-08-2018 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tippysmom (Post 8172938)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]604953[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]604953[/ATTACH]This is it.

This looks like a seam was sewn too close to the edge and pressure on the seam made the threads pull out. I have only seen this in the body of a quilt when edges were not matched up as a seam was sewn, usually by a pedal to the metal seamstress. Perhaps you can ease in some fullness by ripping out a few inches and easing in the fabric when you resew.

osewme 12-08-2018 01:01 PM

What a strange thing that's happened to your binding. If you have more of the same fabric, I would take out the ripped piece & splice in a good piece & finish the quilt. If you don't have enough of the same fabric maybe you could rip out each corner of binding & splice in a piece of different fabric on each corner making it look like it was suppose to be made that way. No one will ever know if you don't tell them. :) Hope this makes sense.

feline fanatic 12-08-2018 01:13 PM

That is the oddest thing and you say 3 of your 4 corners have the same tear in them? There are no minute tears anywere else? I can't even begin to guess how this could have happened. It seems to me if the fabric was defective in someway there would be tears/rips in other places and not just at the corners of your binding. Being right at the corners and looking like you were doing a mitered corner binding, I am wondering if the fabric is getting caught on your sewing machine or something on your sewing table when you remove the quilt to miter the corners. Very odd and not sure how to solve the issue either. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

cathyvv 12-08-2018 02:29 PM

That is what I would do, too. That is much easier/quicker than replacing the entire binding.

mkc 12-08-2018 03:10 PM

What method are you using to attach the binding to the front side? Regular machine and 1/4" seam? Serger? If the latter is there any chance the blade could have cut the binding when you pivoted at the corner?