Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Faux chenille blanket made with flannel

I tried reading past posts on the subject but didn't fine my answer. I plan to make a faux chenille baby quilt with 4 to 5 layers of flannel. One of the flannels is a dark blue - should I wash all my flannels before sewing?

Thanks all for your help!

definitely wash all flannels as well as any non-flannels you're using in that same quilt. Flannels shrink up much more than any other fabric, and you want to get as much fuzz off them as you can as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ktbb
    definitely wash all flannels as well as any non-flannels you're using in that same quilt. Flannels shrink up much more than any other fabric, and you want to get as much fuzz off them as you can as well.
    Thanks Kate!

Wash all flannels before using. They can really shrink.

I agree with the rest and be sure and post a pic when you get done. :-D

Blog Entries
    I wash and dry them twice just to make sure they are done shrinking :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by redpurselady
    I tried reading past posts on the subject but didn't fine my answer. I plan to make a faux chenille baby quilt with 4 to 5 layers of flannel. One of the flannels is a dark blue - should I wash all my flannels before sewing?

Thanks all for your help!
    I've made one chenille quilt a few yrs. ago but didn't have 5 layers. Will you cut through 4 layers? They are so beaut. when they're done. Can't wait to see yours..

I vaguely remember reading something about this kind of quilt. Is this where you sew all the layers together and then cut them or something? Anyways what is the name of this quilt? I would like to look it up again. Curiosity has gotten the best of me :)

Blog Entries
    I have made a faux chenille throw and I did not prewash the fabric. Part of the process is to cut between the layers and then wash and dry the heck out of it. Not sure how well it would ravel if the fabric is prewashed.

I made mine with 5 layers. Backing fabric side down and the other 4 piled on top fabric side up. I can't remember how far apart I sewed the strips but I only cut through the top 3 layers. Turned out wonderful.

Important: Make sure to sew on the bias at a 45degree. Someone made one on the QB a little while ago and didn't sew on the bias. The fabric did NOT ravel once cut.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I have made a faux chenille throw and I did not prewash the fabric. Part of the process is to cut between the layers and then wash and dry the heck out of it. Not sure how well it would ravel if the fabric is prewashed.

I made mine with 5 layers. Backing fabric side down and the other 4 piled on top fabric side up. I can't remember how far apart I sewed the strips but I only cut through the top 3 layers. Turned out wonderful.

Important: Make sure to sew on the bias at a 45degree. Someone made one on the QB a little while ago and didn't sew on the bias. The fabric did NOT ravel once cut.
    I agree do not wash first.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast