Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Faux chenille blanket made with flannel

I tried reading past posts on the subject but didn't fine my answer. I plan to make a faux chenille baby quilt with 4 to 5 layers of flannel. One of the flannels is a dark blue - should I wash all my flannels before sewing?

Thanks all for your help!

definitely wash all flannels as well as any non-flannels you're using in that same quilt. Flannels shrink up much more than any other fabric, and you want to get as much fuzz off them as you can as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ktbb
    definitely wash all flannels as well as any non-flannels you're using in that same quilt. Flannels shrink up much more than any other fabric, and you want to get as much fuzz off them as you can as well.
    Thanks Kate!

Wash all flannels before using. They can really shrink.

I agree with the rest and be sure and post a pic when you get done. :-D

Blog Entries
    I wash and dry them twice just to make sure they are done shrinking :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by redpurselady
    I tried reading past posts on the subject but didn't fine my answer. I plan to make a faux chenille baby quilt with 4 to 5 layers of flannel. One of the flannels is a dark blue - should I wash all my flannels before sewing?

Thanks all for your help!
    I've made one chenille quilt a few yrs. ago but didn't have 5 layers. Will you cut through 4 layers? They are so beaut. when they're done. Can't wait to see yours..

I vaguely remember reading something about this kind of quilt. Is this where you sew all the layers together and then cut them or something? Anyways what is the name of this quilt? I would like to look it up again. Curiosity has gotten the best of me :)

Blog Entries
    I have made a faux chenille throw and I did not prewash the fabric. Part of the process is to cut between the layers and then wash and dry the heck out of it. Not sure how well it would ravel if the fabric is prewashed.

I made mine with 5 layers. Backing fabric side down and the other 4 piled on top fabric side up. I can't remember how far apart I sewed the strips but I only cut through the top 3 layers. Turned out wonderful.

Important: Make sure to sew on the bias at a 45degree. Someone made one on the QB a little while ago and didn't sew on the bias. The fabric did NOT ravel once cut.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I have made a faux chenille throw and I did not prewash the fabric. Part of the process is to cut between the layers and then wash and dry the heck out of it. Not sure how well it would ravel if the fabric is prewashed.

I made mine with 5 layers. Backing fabric side down and the other 4 piled on top fabric side up. I can't remember how far apart I sewed the strips but I only cut through the top 3 layers. Turned out wonderful.

Important: Make sure to sew on the bias at a 45degree. Someone made one on the QB a little while ago and didn't sew on the bias. The fabric did NOT ravel once cut.
    I agree do not wash first.

M---Q, did you sew up & down your rows? I didn't know better when I did mine & the quilt turned out cattywampus.

For the other person who started this topic, there are blunt end scissors out there just for cutting chenille.

I went upstairs to try to measure my strips & they look like 1 1/2" but can't be sure now that they've been washed & shrunk. I also didn't use enough contrasting fabrics so mine looks all the same color.

If I didn't have to sleep at night, I could get so much more done. LOL

So I started making one of these tonight because of this thread! They look so fun and pretty. Just a tip I wanted to tell ya though. I decided to go for the gusto and use 5 layers of flannel. I also bought one of those slash cutters that was mentioned on a different thread. Oh man that thing is totally worth the 15.74 I paid at my LQS. It went through the flannel like butter. Very very quick and easy. Extremely impressed. And I read that you might have to start cutting with scissors. No such need. Sliced thru everything quite nicely. I would say a definite must if you haven't bought one yet. I also read to make the bottom layer a bit bigger on all sides. That helped a lot too. If you haven't started yours yet good luck. If you have I bet it turns out wonderful.

Oh and from what I read I decided not to prewash. I saw a lot of do's and then a lot of do not's. From what I read you want it all to shrink and fluff and fray together. Not sure if this is the correct answer but that's what I decided to try this time lol

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I have never really worked with flannel and my concern about the prewashing is that two of the five pieces I plan to use are dark - red and royal blue, and I am afraid they will bleed when I do wash the blanket. I usually do not prewash my cottons for my other quilting.

Here is the flannel blanket I finally finished. Don't know that I will be making one any time soon. I think I could have finished a queen size top with the time it took me to sew all those diagonals.

strips cut but before washing
    Name:  Attachment-98057.jpe
Views: 386
Size:  86.9 KB

after washing
    Name:  Attachment-98058.jpe
Views: 872
Size:  67.1 KB

Here is the flannel blanket I finally finished. Don't know that I will be making one any time soon. I think I could have finished a queen size top with the time it took me to sew all those diagonals.
    I found that to be boring to me after awhile, too. Did you sew up one row & down the other? I'm itching to make another one but I have too many things I need to do. Like painting the spare rm. I just got most of it primed then had to come ck. on here. We're all pathetic. LOL Just can't hit the sewing mach. til my work is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G
    I found that to be boring to me after awhile, too. Did you sew up one row & down the other? I'm itching to make another one but I have too many things I need to do. Like painting the spare rm. I just got most of it primed then had to come ck. on here. We're all pathetic. LOL Just can't hit the sewing mach. til my work is done.
    I admire your resolve - I usually find excuses to put off work around the house and get some sewing done. I did sew alternating directions. It got old after about getting half done. I do like the results and it will make a warm snuggly blankie for my granddaughter that will arrive in October. She will live in Maryland so she will put it to good use, unlike here in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G
    I admire your resolve - I usually find excuses to put off work around the house and get some sewing done. I did sew alternating directions. It got old after about getting half done. I do like the results and it will make a warm snuggly blankie for my granddaughter that will arrive in October. She will live in Maryland so she will put it to good use, unlike here in Texas.
    Looks like my resolve isn't as good as I thought. I went upstairs to finish priming the spare rm. then since it was pretty hot in that rm. I gave up & went to my sewing mach. I'm learning to free motion & I'm really excited about it. I'm using Leah Day's Machingers gloves & they work like a charm. Now I'm free motion stitching everything I can get my hands on. The runner today is dated 2003. I found that once I got my rhythm between my speed & my hands it's really fun. If I go too long though, I start messing up & just have to stop.
    I got the courage to get at it after listening to all of you. I have to give credit to Leah Day though. Her videos are wonderful.

Same here, DON"t WASH THE FABRIC first. It is softer and more chenille like if you don't wash first. You may need to wash and dry a few times after it is cut to get the maximum fray. The class I took for this emphasized not washing first.

If you ever want a cheap alternative to the gloves, get yourself some cheap gardening gloves, the ones with the little rubber dots on them - they work great at gripping the fabric so it doesn't slip.

If you ever want a cheap alternative to the gloves, get yourself some cheap gardening gloves, the ones with the little rubber dots on them - they work great at gripping the fabric so it doesn't slip.
    I've heard different opinions on the garden gloves. The ones I have now fit so well they never slide around on my hands. These gloves only cost $10.50 so they're well worth it. I'm just having so much fun with my free motion.

Thanks so much for the suggestion though. I should prob. get a pr. of garden gloves though in case I get caught without my Machingers.

I know they have smaller garden gloves for women in girly prints. Like you said, good to have as a spare.

I know they have smaller garden gloves for women in girly prints. Like you said, good to have as a spare.
    I sure love girly prints. LOL. I'm glad you reminded me they come in pretty flower colors

I soak my dark flannels in vinegar overnight just to set the color, then wash and dry them. Just made a new flannel baby quilt, it has been so long since I made one, forgot to sew my lines of stitching starting in the center and working my way out to the edge, ended up with a ripple effect. When I clipped it, that straightened out the imperfections. I also remember that I needed to sew the first line of stitching in one direction and the next in the opposite direction, just to keep the fabric from rippling. Perhaps this information will help someone else.