Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fav. Quilt Shop

Quote Originally Posted by babeegirl
    My favorite is Prairie Quilts here in Wichita. It's small, jammed packed to the rafters with fabric, the ladies are monumentally friendly and knowledgeable. they also have a huge ol' siamese cat (my favorite) that greets customers and keeps an eye on things but he doesn't like to answer questions :) he's more the strong silent type lol. If I know a storm is coming whether it's ice, snow or rain, they know I'll be showing up to get some goodies! The Turning Twenty quilt they helped me put together turned out incredible. It took us 3 hours to pick everything out but nobody batted an eyelash or acted like I was taking too long. I think I need to go visit them this weekend!
    I think that's the one my mother in law visits from time to time to get things. She doesn't quilt, but she does embroider (hand) quilt squares. I'm thinking that's where she gets her quilts longarmed too. Not sure, but I remember her mentioning that shop and she said she would take me there next time I visit. She works at St Francis Hospital, but lives in Independence, KS

I have several quilt shops that I really like here in Texas!!!

The Quilt Haus in New Braunfels
    Las Colchas and Plain Jane's here in San Antonio
    Creations in Kerrville

I have two here where I live that I go to at least once a week even if it is just to look and get inspired..."Beverlys" is one and the ladies are so nice a friendly and very helpful the other is "to quilt and sew" again very helpful and most of the time the gals that are shopping will come along and help with finding stuff for me and give their ideas and opinions on fabrics etc....I love a good friendly shop....

Granny Cat, I am holding my breath!:0)At least until you tell us the shop'n name...you can't keep all the good secrets to yourself...confess!:))LOL Skeat

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    i LOVE Front Porch Quilts in Ozark, AL. Whenever I would visit my parents in Dothan, we would drive to Ozark - we only got there once a year, but Melanie remembered me each time and really really really spent a lot of time with me. She had some unusual stencils and templates and notions/accessories that i have never seen before. Also, GREAT old southern home with original flooring and character (not to mention front porch!). Here is the website: http://www.frontporchquiltshoppe.com/index.html

nor'easter--You are SOOO lucky to have so many great, varied shops so close by. I miss the tactile fun of a visit to a brick and mortar quilt shop-with the price of gas these days I do not get to go very often any more-it is just too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeat
    Granny Cat, I am holding my breath!:0)At least until you tell us the shop'n name...you can't keep all the good secrets to yourself...confess!:))LOL Skeat

I did name them...Beverlys.....To quilt and sew
    those are the names....

This thread reminds me that I am totally spoiled :oops: When DH and I go into Omaha, we have a route: Hancocks and Joann's (a couple of blocks away from each other), and the 'Center St. bunch' - 2 Viking dealers, the Country Sampler and the Log Cabin quilt shops all within about 10 blocks of each other. (There's also another Hancocks right in there, but I prefer the other one.) My absolute favorite is Country Sampler for eye candy and a gorgeous array of fabrics. Right here in Council Bluffs there is Kanesville Quilting, great for classes & Thimbleberries fabrics. There are a couple of other shops around here I haven't even visited yet.

I've made a note of the Wichita shop - DH's brother lives near there, and I feel a road trip comin' on :lol:

I went to Creations in Kerrville while visiting son and family in San Antonio at Christmas time. The weather was great, we also went to the James Avery factory. Here in Orlando there are several, let me know when you are coming to town and I will hook you up, Cindy

When I lived in Chehalis, Wa...I literally had 3 quilt shops within 15-20min drive and WalMart was 10mins.
    These quilt shops were varied in what they carried (which made for a great selection), all were friendly and had resonable prices. Even WalMart was a great place for cheapy fabric finds and had nice clerks.
    Now I live in Tacoma and I have a small quilt shop about 5 mins away, another 10 mins away and a couple over 35mins away. These people are somewhat friendly, selection isn't the greatest, classes arent advertised readily...so I am somewhat dissapointed.
    I thought when I moved to a big city my quilting/emb/scrapbooking options might be greater. Boy, am I dissapointed. Still have JoAnns (have you seen some of their new lines).
    I am going to try to shop more online (can you believe it)...
    Kirsten

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast