Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Favorite Free Motion Quilting Class from Craftsy, or another Source

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,206

    Favorite Free Motion Quilting Class from Craftsy, or another Source

    So far, my fave Free Motion quilting class from Craftsy is "Beyond Basic Machine quilting." Have any of you taken "Design it, Quilt it," or Machine Quilting the Home Sweet Home Quilt," which is new? If so, do you like it? Or, another one?

  2. #2
    Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The middle of an IL cornfield
    Posts
    6,872
    Blog Entries
    1
    I did Machine Quilting by Wendy Butler Burns. It was OK. I've been looking at Beyond Basic Machine Quilting but have not signed up. Maybe your recommendation will get me there.

  3. #3
    Super Member TerryQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Vista, CA
    Posts
    1,476
    I did "Design it, Quilt it" and really liked it. Learned a lot too.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,206
    I took the Machine Quilting Class by Wendy Butler Berns and would say it is okay too. I really liked Beyond Basic Machine quilting much better.

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,206
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryQuilter View Post
    I did "Design it, Quilt it" and really liked it. Learned a lot too.
    Thanks Terry, I looked at the class samples for "Design it, Quilt It," and they were gorgeous! But, looked a little complicated. Are they difficult. Thought it interesting that she uses templates and others do not.

  6. #6
    Super Member hopetoquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    I did Machine Quilting by Wendy Butler Burns. It was OK. I've been looking at Beyond Basic Machine Quilting but have not signed up. Maybe your recommendation will get me there.
    I am generally not a negative person but IMHO, the Wendy butler burns class was a complete waste of money. I hated it. I have not even finished it. I am generally not critical of another's FMQ skills but if I am paying to learn, I think the teachers FMQ skills should be much better. I also don't think very much planning went into her class. She is verbose unnecessarily and it takes forever to get through the class.


    On a more positive note, the Angela waters class is awesome. I also own one of her books. The craftsy class is well planned and provides great examples of beautiful quilting. I was impressed.

  7. #7
    Power Poster dunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Albany, Oregon
    Posts
    10,525
    I liked Angela Waters' class, and also Kimmy Bruner's class, Machine Quilting with Templates. There were complaints from some in each class who felt that too much of the lessons were filmed using a longarm. Both classes had something to offer for those who were using a domestic machine for quilting, but they really were more helpful for those of us using a longarm. I think that's something to consider when signing up for a class, although Craftsy's money-back policy will protect you if you are unhappy with any class.

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,206
    Was the Angela Water's class mostly for long arm quilters, or did it apply equally as well do domestic sewing machines as well? Was it advanced?
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
    I am generally not a negative person but IMHO, the Wendy butler burns class was a complete waste of money. I hated it. I have not even finished it. I am generally not critical of another's FMQ skills but if I am paying to learn, I think the teachers FMQ skills should be much better. I also don't think very much planning went into her class. She is verbose unnecessarily and it takes forever to get through the class.


    On a more positive note, the Angela waters class is awesome. I also own one of her books. The craftsy class is well planned and provides great examples of beautiful quilting. I was impressed.

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,206
    Thanks Dunster. When I saw the preview of Angela Water's class and she was using a longarm, I thought those with a longarm might benefit the most. She certainly is a talented quilter and well-known teacher and author.

    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I liked Angela Waters' class, and also Kimmy Bruner's class, Machine Quilting with Templates. There were complaints from some in each class who felt that too much of the lessons were filmed using a longarm. Both classes had something to offer for those who were using a domestic machine for quilting, but they really were more helpful for those of us using a longarm. I think that's something to consider when signing up for a class, although Craftsy's money-back policy will protect you if you are unhappy with any class.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    669
    I'd really like to see a class where the instructor actually quilts a bed size quilt on a regular domestic sewing machine. I think that would help me most.
    http://www.thingsthatarenotperfect.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.