Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite Quilting Magazines? >

Favorite Quilting Magazines?

Favorite Quilting Magazines?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I love them ALL!!!!!!!! LOL, I try to find them at yard sales though, they are so expensive!
I often use my JoAnn's 40% off coupons for magazines.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Banned

I used to get about 10+ and am slowly winnowing down.
I think the only ones I'll renew are McCall's, BHG's American Patchwork and Quilting, and Quilters Newsletter (I had dropped it for a couple of years but it's improved of late)
Old 08-12-2010, 11:33 AM

My absolute favorite is QuiltMaker...great patterns for every level of quilter. And it's mostly patterns, not mostly ads and "chatter".
Old 08-12-2010, 11:54 AM

I was taking about 6 and am now down to Quiltmaker and Quick Quilts. The only reason I still have these is I was STUPID. I received a bill for the subscription so ordered it. Later got another bill and couldn't remember if I had ordered it so paid again. Anyway my Quick Quilts runs out in 2013 and Quiltmaker in Jan 2011. I counted all the bills I received from the magazines and put them in a folder, for fun. I stopped collecting at 32.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:30 PM

I subscribed to Quilt magazine - and have gotten 3 issues of it. I got it because it was on a super special offer and I figured, hey why not? Well.. I will say that the first issue there was NOTHING in it that I think I would ever make - no matter how much my tastes change.. the second issue has 2 quilts in it that I think I would make and the one I just got was a stinker again for me... nothing. nada. zilch. not a single thing I'd want to make. I'm considering cutting my losses and seeing about getting a prorated refund.

I think I should stick to not getting magazines unless I see one in the store that has at least 2 things in it that I'd like to make...

Also having said that.. I bought one 2 winters ago and LOST it :( It had a gorgeous paper pieced wreath wall hanging in it that I wanted to make 2 of - one for me in Xmas colors and one in a seaside theme to give to my mother... and I can't find it in my craft room :'( I am going to do another cleaning/organizing and hope that it surfaces....
Old 08-12-2010, 01:38 PM

I like McCalls Quick Quilts, but I can't often get it over here in the UK.

Hugs
Old 08-12-2010, 01:52 PM

The only one I subscribe to now is Quilters Newsletter...I have been a subscriber forever. They have interesting articles and "workshops" that showcase new quilting techniques. I do buy others from time to time if they have at least two projects that interest me. I don't really worry all that much about patterns, I design my own with EQ7.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:24 PM

I get Quilters Newsletter, BHG American Patchwork, The Quilters Magazine (which I am letting expire) and American Quilters by AQS. I used to get a couple of more, but found them redundit. More ads, more patterns which I don't use. I like to read the articles and info in the others.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:15 AM

When you read the ads in the quilt magazines, many times they will have internet addresses where you can get free patterns. My favorite are the quilt manufacturers. A few of them are: RJR Fabrics, Marcus Fabric, Windham Fabrics, Quilting Treasures, Clothworks, Fabri-Quilt, and Robert Kaufman Fabrics, Hoffman. New patterns are added monthly.
You'll also find Block of the Month patterns from Blue Moon River, M&L Designs, Horizon Quilt Designs, and The Golden Thimble. Your notions catalogues offer free patterns.

When you go into the fabric manufacturers site you also will be able to see their new line of fabrics. Sometimes the quilt shops have ordered them and sometimes they will order for you.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:27 AM

Sew...Glad you ask! If I had to pick one it is for sure: McCall's Quilting Magazine. It gives a variety of quilts, patterns and instructions. Not loaded with page after page of advertizments. Even the cover is eye catching! I tried them all, and McCall's Quilting is tops in my opinion. Grum