Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Tip or Helpful Hint

Hi, seems there are lots of tips and tricks to be found online. Just wondering if anyone has a favorite they'd like to share.
    I just learned one from an Anita Solomon Grossman book which she uses when starching large quantities of fabric. I rarely startch, but I love this tip: partially dry your fabric and throw it in the fridge or better yet the freezer. Iron when you have time. Something about the coldness of the fabric makes it iron even smoother. Don't know why, but it sure works, especially when I don't have time to iron and don't want the fabric to get too dry or go sour.

Blog Entries
    thanks for the tip

I keep a plastic bag taped to the edge of the table to catch my thread snips and small scraps. The roller wheels on my chair seem to catch them up if I don't! Wondered why the chair didn't roll as well as before.

Blog Entries
    When I was a kid back in the 40's, my grandmother would sprinkle the clothes and roll them tightly. If she couldn't
    get to the ironing the next morning she would store them in an old refrigerator in the basement until she could get around to ironing.

Love the damp fabric in the fridge tip!

This is my favorite tip: Keep a small container of water near the ironing board and place just a drop of water on intersecting seams before pressing.

Years ago when I use to iron family of fives clothes, I always sprinkled with water and refrigerated them before ironing. It does help.
    Believe it or not, for many, many years people would never go anywhere withou their clothes ironed. Lost appeal to most when polyester was mixed with cotton and walla, wash n wear, no iron fabric and clothes.
    One pass time I was glad to see go away.

Blog Entries
    Lotion or baby oil on legs and a big wad of nylon net , rub good to get rid of dry flaky skin.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingleberry
    Years ago when I use to iron family of fives clothes, I always sprinkled with water and refrigerated them before ironing. It does help.
    Believe it or not, for many, many years people would never go anywhere withou their clothes ironed. Lost appeal to most when polyester was mixed with cotton and walla, wash n wear, no iron fabric and clothes.
    One pass time I was glad to see go away.

I still love to iron and iron every week here at home and in the fifth wheel.

I don't love to iron but I still iron every week. too. My husband wears a dress shirt every day and I think they just look better lightly starched and 'flitched' off. I do remember my mother and gradnmother sprinkling clothes and then putting them in the frig!

My mother used to iron the man up the street work shirts to make extra money. We were always finding his shirts in the freezer

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast