Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
first great grandchild quilt >

first great grandchild quilt

first great grandchild quilt

Old 11-01-2013, 06:16 AM

Default first great grandchild quilt

My granddaughter is expecting and asked me to make her a baby quilt. Of course I am very proud and happy she asked. Now I have a problem, I have the top all made and she wants it backed with MINKY (?) which I have for the back she picked all of her colors etc. Now I do not know what I do for the backing, do you put a batting in when using this or not I was told I do not need one and then can you still quilt it without a batting in/ I do not have a long arm
I hope you understand what I am saying? I will appreciate the help.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't think about using a batting but if you do maybe use a low loft.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:25 AM

some Minky have pretty high pile.. some are not as high as others. If what you have is high pile then you may not need to use batting as it will be plenty warm and cuddly without it.

I have used minky for a quilt and had flannel backing - I did use batting https://www.fabric.com/buy/qbr-052/q...g-93-x-72-twin. I quilted this on my home sewing machine (nothing fancy just straight line). This is a very soft cuddly quilt.. I want to make one for myself someday.

The only problem that I really had was how the Minky "shed" when I cut it... and those shedings getting into my bobbin.. but as long as I cleaned it out all was good

Please post a picture when you are finished!
Old 11-01-2013, 08:12 AM

I use minky without any batting. I also don't quilt with stitches close together. Minky is shifty,so I spray baste it. I'll bet it turns out to be a lovely,soft " blankie" for the babe.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:20 AM

I have used minky both with and without a batting. They both work ok. Use something like warm and natural - all cotton - if you do use batting. minky is kind of stretchy and hard to work with but if you pin very well, it goes ok. It is very messy because it kind of shreds when you cut it. As others said, you just need to quilt a simple pattern. Oh - and very important - do not put iron on it and watch which way the grain is running.