Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: First time machine quilting

Senior Member Rosie the "Ripper"'s Avatar
    This is going to sound like a very "primary" question to you but it is my first time machine quilting. I just figured out how to put the walking foot on my new machine (a Baby Lock Quilters Choice) and I am attempting to quilt a small baby quilt. My question is, when you come to the end of outlining a block and want to go to the next block, do you backstitch and cut the thread and move over to the next block or do you stitch over to it and continue sewing? Does this make sense to you? I can't figure out how you get from one spot to another without the stitches showing.

Blog Entries
    It depends on if you want the stitches to continue. You can do a small backstitch (just a couple of stitches) and cut it off, or go straight ahead. It's all dependent on how you want it to look.

Wow, I have the same machine and begin my first machine quilting tonight, and I never thought about this. Great question! Thanks for asking...

With some machines you can't backstitch with the walking foot on. If that's the case, you could set the stitch on your Baby Lock to the one that does 3 to 4 stitches in place at the beginning and end. I have a Baby Lock Espire and that's what I do.

Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    i change my stitch length to 1.0 and make a few stitches. then cut my threads and go onto another block or area.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    i change my stitch length to 1.0 and make a few stitches. then cut my threads and go onto another block or area.
    This is my routine also.

Senior Member Rosie the "Ripper"'s Avatar
    Thanks for all the info. I'll try and see what looks good. Glad you are all out there to go to when I need help. Bless this board!!!

generally you do not reverse with a walking foot- it is made to go forward-
    it is up to you if you want to do a continuous line or stop and starts- just take a few tiny stitches at the end of a line-bring bobbin thread to the top and clip to finish a quilting line-some people leave tails which they tie together-thread onto a hand needle and bury- but if you take a few stitches in place it locks them so you can clip close to the surface of the quilt

Blog Entries
    I didn't know either so Ty!!