Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fiskars Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo - Feedback - is it just me? >

Fiskars Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo - Feedback - is it just me?

Fiskars Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo - Feedback - is it just me?

Old 03-25-2014, 07:59 AM

I avoid this brand. Nothing I have purchased has been successful for me. However, I really can't advise on this tool.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:14 AM

DH bought me 1 about 7 yrs ago, and I LOVE it! We bought my Mother one and she loves hers as well, she has RA and her fingers are deformed. I have not tried the new one, but the ones we have are wonderful. The only problem I had was when I was cutting on a plastic table, I figured out that the table was swaying when I cut. DH made me a wood board to lay on it when I was cutting and it worked like a dream again.
Sorry for you all that bought them and didn't like them. Maybe the new ones are made different in some way.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:49 AM
jfl

I have one love it but the screw has worn out on it can replace the Assamese thing has happened to my regular cutter. I will try to send them into the company for replacement. Used mine all the time lost without it. Have had mine for 5-6 years. Jane
Old 03-25-2014, 08:52 AM

I bought one of these two years ago and since then have replaced the mat, cutter and ruler. The mat warped terribly even though I stored it flat. I live in Florida so it does get hot in the summer and we do keep our air warmer than most but it never got so hot in the house this should have happened. I checked some Fiskar mats at JoAnns recently that were hanging loose and all of them were warped. I am now using an Olfa mat that a friend had at a garage sale and it is great. The cutter didn't cut as easily as the Olfa one and I like the ergonomic version of the Olfa so I replaced it with that. The ruler I replaced this year because I didn't like the extra half inch on one side and one end of the Fiskar ruler and it was also hard to see the numbers on it once it was on fabric. I replaced that with an Olfa ruler that is frosted and love, love that one. Bottom line is I will never buy Fiskar quilting supplies again. Your situation as you can see is not unique.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:33 AM

I definitely prefer Olfas. I like Fiskar scissors, but not their rotary cutters.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:00 PM

[

Has anyone else purchased this tool? Do you like it? Does anyone have the other similar products from Sew Easy and Havels? Does this sound like a similar challenge...?

Any feedback is appreciated as I will give it a chance but want to be sure it is just me and not the tool.

thanks[/QUOTE]

I have the Sew Easy brand and thought I could get equal cut strips but as hard as I tried that never worked. I only use it to cut the fabric to make a straight cut. I have the Quilter's Slidelock that I use now--it takes a little more time using them but my strips are the same width throughout.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:43 PM

I know only Olfa broad and cutter for me
Old 03-25-2014, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

Many are getting the combo ruler mixed up with a rotary cutter. It's not the same tool but uses the same blades.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:07 PM

I bought a combo cutting mat, 6 x 24 ruler and 45 mm rotary cutter. I have the same issue (have tried several different blades and brands) same thing, the cutter skips. I notice the last couple pairs of rag snips I bought didn't last long either. I guess Fiskars is losing quality like so many other companies today. I plan to replace the cutter and warped cutting mat with another brand as soon as I can.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:17 PM

I bought the Sew EZ ruler cutter and it works great for me Looks to be similar to the Fiscar