Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fiskars Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo - Feedback - is it just me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fiskars-rotary-cutter-ruler-combo-feedback-just-me-t243781.html)

JudyVA 03-23-2014 04:14 PM

Fiskars Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo - Feedback - is it just me?

I took the leap today and bought the new Fiskars Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo with the Joann's coupon...so I got a good deal....but am disappointed in this tool...it requires a lot of pressure to cut through the fabric cleanly and skips the middle portion of the cut most often....maybe it is just me as I get used to using this new tool...

Has anyone else purchased this tool? Do you like it? Does anyone have the other similar products from Sew Easy and Havels? Does this sound like a similar challenge...?

Any feedback is appreciated as I will give it a chance but want to be sure it is just me and not the tool.

thanks

cathyvv 03-23-2014 04:24 PM

I don't have this tool, and don't know anyone who does. However, what you describe seems like a defective blade problem. If you have an extra 45mm rotary blade, try changing it and see what happens.

By the way, even if it is just you, you're the important one with regard to your purchase. If it doesn't work for you, return it.

Craftnut 03-23-2014 04:27 PM

I had one, used it and it did the same as yours. It went to the thrift store.

CajunQuilter2 03-23-2014 05:04 PM

I bought it a few years back, was excited about getting it but was disappointed in it as well and returned it.

kel_jh 03-23-2014 05:43 PM

My son got me the combo for Christmas. Came with the 6"x24" ruler. It works great. I did buy titanium replacement blades, but I didn't have any problems with the the one that came with it. Of course, I'm new and this is my first cutting mat so I have nothing to compare it to.

luckydiver17 03-23-2014 05:53 PM

I have them and have the same problems. I have never owned any others so its just something I deal with.

DOTTYMO 03-23-2014 11:41 PM

I have one. It takes practice to use as you hold it slightly differently from the olfa. I do find it easier to use now but I can't flip hands which I have managed with other rotary cutters.

patricej 03-24-2014 01:49 AM

i haven't had a chance to use the new version of the Fiskars cutter, so i don't know whether it works any better than the old version - which i found to be useful only for paper.

i have the new Sew Easy cutter and it performs as advertised. (i saw and bought it before i found out Havel's had also put one on the market.)

i am tempted to plunk down the $$$ for the Havel version because the ruler is wider and it's supposed to cut through more layers of fabric in one pass. i have several pairs of their scissors and a few of their rotary cutters. i'm thrilled with all of those, so i'd expect their long cutter to be very good, too.

PaperPrincess 03-24-2014 04:06 AM

I didn't like mine. You have to make sure that the blade is engaged (it springs up and down) and keep an even pressure on it the entire length, which for me wasn't easy. Regular rotary cutter worked better. Sold it and the person who bought it just loves it!

quilter1 03-24-2014 04:31 AM

I have a small one and it can't cut anything. Only Olfa cutters for me from now on.