Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fixing/Replacing Old Binding >

Fixing/Replacing Old Binding

Fixing/Replacing Old Binding

Old 11-03-2013, 01:38 PM

Default Fixing/Replacing Old Binding

A client brought me a quilt, that her grandmother made for her, to repair the binding. The binding was/is single fold 1/4" wide and wearing badly. After talking removal vs attach over existing, she decided to have me remove the old and replace with new-closely-matching-color quilt store quality fabric. My dilemna is whether or not to wash the new binding fabric. Here is my thinking........The quilt was hand-quilted and has already been washed a few times, so the top is a little crinkely. The front is cotton, but the backing feels like polyester blend batiste, so it's not so crinklely. The old binding is crinklely. If I don't wash the new fabric, it will be smooth, and next wash, it should crinkle and fit the overall look of the quilt. If I do wash it, it will also be flat, and not really crinkle the next time it is washed. Is the area between the old quilt and new binding going to look like it doesn't belong? I am thinking I should NOT wash the fabric, (as it will be flat whichever plan I follow) and will shrink next wash. Thoughts on what I should do? Does my thinking make sense? What experiences have others had replacing binding on an older quilt? THANKS!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 01:46 PM

i'd wash the new fabric to remove some of the sizing and stuff. As far as picking out new - pick something that looks purposeful and like it's supposed to be there.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:06 PM

I would prewash and shrink the fabric prior to making the new binding. The crinkling came in part from the batting shrinking. No way around it the new binding will not be as crinkled as the old. When I do a binding replacement , I make it a narrow binding so any slight "era" differences will be minimized.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:14 PM

I agree to wash the binding fabric before using it.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I agree to wash the binding fabric before using it.
I am one of those that seldom wash my fabric (I do test for colorfastness) but in this case, I WOULD wash the fabric and do a double fold binding. Hope that since the quilt is hand-quilted that you will hand stitch the binding to the back. So many quilters now do all their binding by machine. I have an antique quilt and the single fold is wearing even tho I have never used the quilt. My Grandmother's aunt piece the quilt top. I bought it from her on one of my many road trip to NYC from CA. My Great Aunt Maude's quilt group hand quilted it. I don't know why she bought this glow in the bright orange as backing but I have been told to replace and others have told me to leave it alone. I wish you the best of luck !!