Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: "Fixing" signature blocks

"Fixing" signature blocks

For my daughter's wedding she didn't want a guest book. Instead she wanted everyone to sign a quilt square for me to make into a quilt. I have decided to do Scrap Courthouse steps with a slightly larger center signature square because they were married in Washington Courthouse, Oh. It just seemed right. Since I haven't done anything with signature blocks I wanted to know if there is anything I need to do to the signature blocks to fix the writing so it won't wash out. I used the special pens for fabric that I got at JoAnns. Some of the blocks aren't very dark because the writer didn't press hard enough. I preped the blocks by cutting oversized and making a posterboard templete to place over the fabric on a clipboard to indicate writing area. I prewashed, cut, then lightly starched the squares before the wedding. I tested the white muslin by writing before startching and after starching. Then I washed the squares. I didn't notice any difference with the ink so I starched the squares. It made writing on them easier. So... is there anything else I need to do to the blocks with the ink so they don't wash out over time? I appreciate any help with this. I will post a picture of the quilt when I get it completed. However I have my other daughters wedding quilt to finish also. From 7? years ago. It's still in production
    But thats another post. Thanks again for any help.

Press the signatures with a iron on the cotton setting. This will set the ink so it doesn't fade nearly as easily.

Blog Entries
    I hope you used the pigma pens for the signatures. They will not wash out.

Blog Entries
    i dont have different advice from above, but wanted to say that i love your idea and can't wait to see pics
    Nancy in western NY

I agree with heat setting the sigs, but be careful with the heat of the iron. You want it hot enough to heat set the ink, but not so hot it scorches the starch. Not sure if writing on top of starch will speed the fading or not; I've not heard of it done that way before.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

It is usual to heat set the signatures first, which is what I hope you did. Then do whatever it is you want to do with you signatures.

For one signature quiltlet I made I had to go over some of the signatures as they were too light. turned out reallynice.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I think ,Iamquilter and Susan G. explains the best options.

This is very timely - I am doing a quilt for the choir director at church and I want the choir members to sign the label that I'm going to put on the back. What's the difference between the pigma pens and a black sharpie marker? I know the sharpie won't come out - (says the one who has sharpie marker on her favorite pair of jeans that won't come out)
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Power Poster
    If the signatures are large enough, you could embroider over the pen. If you used the fabric pens and gently heat set them with an iron they should be good. If you want to test them, prepare the fabric sample exactly like you did the blocks, write on it, heat set it and then wash and dry.