Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flannel Rag Quilt Question

Question Flannel Rag Quilt Question

If the rag quilt is made from flannel, do you still need to place a middle layer of flannel as batting? I'm concerned it might get too heavy weightwise. Thanks in advance for your help.

Blog Entries
    It's a personal choice. I have a quilt that is flannel back, flannel top, with W&N batting in the middle - and it's the most popular quilt in my house. On the flip side, I know quilters who only use 2 layers and are perfectly happy.

You could try spreading out 2 layers of flannel on your lap as you sit on the couch, then add a third layer and see how much heavier it is. This won't be the same weight as your rag quilt, because a pieced top will weigh more, but it will give you an idea of how much added weight will be in the quilt if you add a middle layer.

Blog Entries
    Personally, I like the 3 layers better. Seems to lay better. Although, a lap quilt won't be near as heavy as a queen/king no matter how many layers you have. Good luck either way!

I also want to make a rag quilt out of flannel. I started cutting the squares and when I looked at them they were not actually square, so I'm not so sure this will be as easy as it appears. I'll see how it works out eventually. I will be doing it in three layers. I want to make one of these because I know they will be so cozy warm and soft.

Blog Entries
    I think a lot depends on how warm you want it - I use three layers but here in Indiana the winters are brutal cold so need the extra warmth

I have made both types. The ones with batting in the middle are very, very warm. If that's what you want, I admit it looks nice but it is also relatively stiff (at least with the Warm and Natural I used). However it is too warm for just laying over my legs in the living room even in the winter. The ones with just 2 layers of flannel are better as a lap rug in the evening. I also generally use just two layers of flannel in the baby quilts so they drap better around the baby.

Pam

if your flannel is a nice weight you dont need to but it will help with the fluffiness of your seams
    Nancy

I've made a lot of rag quilts and have only ever used 2 layers of flannel. Mine are heavy and I don't think we would like the third layer. It is a personal choice though so try a couple of small different ones and see what you think. Mine all fluffed out fine and I quilted by putting an X through the square. Lot of ways to make a rag quilt I guess.
    Debra

I have made 2 rag quilts and didn't realize until recently that you could use flannel for the middle layer or just use 2 layers of flannel. I'm going to try just the 2 layers of flannel next time.

Deb

To me it might depend on where you live. I made one years ago, with w&n in it---it was way too heavy, and way too hot. But I live in Houston, so that might be a reason.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says
    "Oh no, She's up!"
    Sibyl aka: Essiescott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast