Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fleece as backing >

Fleece as backing

Fleece as backing

Old 02-28-2015, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
I'm going to be finishing a quilt for the son of a dear friend who has passed. She wanted it backed with fleece. There are 2 more rows to be completed then I will begin on the backing.
If you could help me with ideas of how to do the binding it be a great help, also do you the spray baste the fleece ?
Should it be tied or quilted or a bit of both?
It is a dark square in square, with black fleece and a wool combo batting.

I appreciate any help you can give me.
I frequently use fleece backings. They can be pieced just like a cotton backing, (1/4" seam).

I use cotton quilting fabric for the binding and bind just like a regular quilt, (binding cut to 2 1/2").

I spray baste the fleece and quilt the sandwich. I don't use batting.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:21 PM

I just started quilting my first sandwich and let my DH pick out the backing fabric since it was his blanket and he picked out baby fleece. It has actually turned out really well. I did have some slipping problems on one edge because I did not baste it well enough but was able to rip a few stitches and fix it right up. The baby fleece doesn't stretch as much as regular super fluffy fleece IMO but I haven't actually sewed with the other fleece just have lots of blankets made out of it.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:56 PM

I love fleece, especially for baby quilts and throws. I did have and issue with my effort at a chevron...my cotton fabrics for the top were of a little different weights and had not been pre-washed. Since the fleece is not 100% cotton, it did not shrink as the top did. Therefore, my Chevron throw is for my use only!
Old 03-01-2015, 05:06 AM

My family and I love fleece backing. I've mostly made quilts the smaller sizes because that's what we use most.
My only caution regarding piecing the back is to be sure that you have the greatest degree of stretch going the same way on both/all sections. Otherwise you can have unexpected folds at the seams when quilting by machine.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:33 AM

Thanks for asking this. I never thought of using fleece for backing. Would/could you use batting too? I'm making a full size bed quilt for my adult daughter. She has a down comforter now and is worried that the quilt won't be warm enough. We live in the Midwest so winter can be really cold.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:56 AM

Thanks for all the info! I guess I thought the backing couldn't be pieced because of the bulk that would be produced at the seams, but they would get quilted down I guess, right? And I would not have thought you could add batting also. I figured the fleece would replace the batting. This opens up a world of possibilities! Thanks ladies! You are all so amazing!
Old 03-02-2015, 04:54 AM

I use fleece a lot for backing. I have pieced it with a 1/2 inch seam and open it so there isn't much bulk. I have pieced it with no problems and some of my quilts have had a lot of washings. I usually put batting also. I quilt it like I would a cotton or flannel backing.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:19 AM

I use flannel for a soft, warm backing. However, I still sandwich the batting in the quilt.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:19 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Peck: Yep I understand where ya are coming from on that statement !! (QP). I have used fleece as my backing on several quilts. I have even used Minky (for me it was little hard to work with). I would and will use fleece for a backing when I need it in future quilts.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:30 AM

I use fleece as my batting/backing - especially for my many donation quilts. I would precaution that fleece does have a slight stretch along the width. For this reason I do a heavy quilting (usually along my pieced seams) in all directions just to help stabilize the stretch. I use a 1/2" binding to also contain the shape.
All and any 'fuzzy' polyester fabrics should be washed in cold water and dried on air-dry or just hang to dry. The addition of fabric softeners in the wash cycle or in the dryer will cause the 'fuzzy' fibers to stick together and the cuddle/softness of the fabric will be lost.