Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fleece as backing >

Fleece as backing

Fleece as backing

Old 02-28-2015, 05:50 AM

Default Fleece as backing

I've heard some of you talk about doing this but am wondering what the consensus is on how you like using fleece as batting/backing. I'm thinking of trying it. Do you quilt as usual? And you can only make your top as large as the width of fleece will allow right? Because you can't piece it together like a cotton backing? Thanks for helping me think this through.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:01 AM

I used fleece as a batting/backing on several quilts I made as Christmas gifts -- they were carpenter's wheels, 50 inches square -- I quilted them on my machine outlining the diamonds, squares, and stars -- I trimmed the backing and folded it forward to form the binding after quilting -- on one of the quilts I made, I pieced the backing -- they were so cozy and soft -- it was easier than sandwiching a quilt for quilting -- my only concern is the durability or rather the softness of the fleece after multiple washings -- maybe they won't be washed so much-- I enjoyed working on them!!
Old 02-28-2015, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

I just don't know what the durability of fleece is.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:33 AM

I love fleece as a backing. It quilts beautifully, the stitches sink in really well and are buried in the back so it hides slight tension issues, and it feels cuddly and soft. I piece my backs when needed, no problem. I use a wider seam allowance when doing it, around an inch or so. I also use batting on my fleece quilts so they're extra warm and substantial. I tend to use larger quilting designs when using fleece as a backing so they'll be more puffy, although fleece also looks nice with more dense quilting. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

I have pieced fleece to back a king sized quilt, why would you think it can not be pieced? I used a 1/2" seam and opened it to keep the bulk down. I love fleece backings ( actually I love flannel, but my family loves fleece) so use fleece a lot... Never thought about ( or experienced) any problems, piecing together to make the right size. My mom makes fleece socks every year for family members gifts and passes on the leftovers to me so sometimes a fleece backing will be very pieced. I sew pieces together until I have the size I need.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:50 PM

Smile

I'm going to be finishing a quilt for the son of a dear friend who has passed. She wanted it backed with fleece. There are 2 more rows to be completed then I will begin on the backing.
If you could help me with ideas of how to do the binding it be a great help, also do you the spray baste the fleece ?
Should it be tied or quilted or a bit of both?
It is a dark square in square, with black fleece and a wool combo batting.

I appreciate any help you can give me.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:13 PM

I have often used fleece. It is warm and cuddly. My fleece-backed throws are the favorites at my house.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:16 PM

I used a fleece blanket on one of my very first quilts, before I knew the Quilt Police would frown on it. Since it was a blanket, I didn't have to piece it, and my son loves it. It's warm and drapes/cuddles nicely. When my son was small, he had a medical issue that made him wet the bed almost every night, so there was a LOT of washing of his 2 quilts for a couple of years. One was a flannel quilt with muslin backing. The other was cotton with the fleece blanket backing. The flannel quilt is very worn and the fleece quilt looks almost new.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:38 PM

One of the first quilts that I ever made had fleece for batting.I didn't know any better. I saw it 5 years after I made it, and it looked like new. It was a baby quilt and it was washed a lot. My son loves fleece so I used a king sized fleece blanket for the backing of a Scrappy Trip Round the World. Also used a furry fleece for the back of a Metro Rings quilt by request. The recipient says it's super warm and loves the 'silkiness' . I don't think that the fleeces are really much different from minky- like fabrics. Some may stretch more than others. I think fleece is really easy to work with- just make sure you use a non-pilling one.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:55 PM

I used it to back a double batting tied flannel quilt.

I cut it larger than the top and used it for a binding. I was very pleased with the outcome. I'm not very good at this so I need all the help I can get!