Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fleece as backing >

Fleece as backing

Fleece as backing

Old 03-02-2015, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Abby'smom View Post
I used fleece as a batting/backing on several quilts I made as Christmas gifts -- they were carpenter's wheels, 50 inches square -- I quilted them on my machine outlining the diamonds, squares, and stars -- I trimmed the backing and folded it forward to form the binding after quilting -- on one of the quilts I made, I pieced the backing -- they were so cozy and soft -- it was easier than sandwiching a quilt for quilting -- my only concern is the durability or rather the softness of the fleece after multiple washings -- maybe they won't be washed so much-- I enjoyed working on them!!
the quilts I made for DDs to take to college 15 years ago have fleece for backing. They survived college, several moves and now are used regularly as tents for their kids. Still look good.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:54 AM

So much great information here thank you all.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:19 PM

I use fleece as backing on ALL my quilts and have made well over 100. I have pieced the backs from mixed blocks to as small as making 2 9patch blocks that finished at 3". That last is not something I'd recommend, lol, but it worked and was fun to make the point I intended.
Attached Thumbnails back-dfmi.jpg  
Old 03-02-2015, 12:23 PM

I use fleece sometimes as backing. Yes I piece it so it fits the quilt size. I made a quilt for my niece 7 years ago, her daughter claimed it for her own when she was a baby so it's been washed many, many times and it still looks good. I have also added batting as well as fleece on the back to make it extra warm. I quilt as usual.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:09 PM

I use pill free fleece for the backing on a lot of my quilts. For most of them I use the "birthing" method and then after turning, stitching around the outside edge of the quilt and doing some type of stitching throughout the top be it outlining the squares on the front or some straight side to side and top to bottom stitching. I have some that have been washed many times and the fleece holds up well and stays soft and fluffy.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:22 PM

I can't speak for fleece as a quilt backing but I do have some experience with its durability. I have fleece blanket a friend made for me 8 years ago. It is my couch blanket- which means it gets washed at least 2x per month in the winter and the cat kneads it (she has claws). It has held up remarkably. The color has faded a tad and it looks a bit loved (you know tiny little pills, but nothing that comes off or sheds). I would caution you to take a pipe cleaner your your machine after you sew with fleece on it though. I sewed my niece a fleece pillow one time and it leaves little fuzz all over the machine parts.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:28 AM

I have used fleece and I really like it. I used the same binding technique as with any other .. cut 2-1/2" cotton fabric strips fold in 2, sew to front and fold to the bock
Old 03-03-2015, 12:44 PM

Default Fleece backing

I have used fleece as batting and quilted as usual . Practice on some baby blankets or burpies before you start on the quilt so you can see if you like it.

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
I've heard some of you talk about doing this but am wondering what the consensus is on how you like using fleece as batting/backing. I'm thinking of trying it. Do you quilt as usual? And you can only make your top as large as the width of fleece will allow right? Because you can't piece it together like a cotton backing? Thanks for helping me think this through.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:53 AM

Watch out for the really stretchy fleece it is much more difficult to use.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:35 AM

LOVE using fleece. Use it all the time. makes the quilts light weight,cozy and warm