Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • The floor is NOT the best place! >
  • The floor is NOT the best place!

• The floor is NOT the best place!

Old 05-01-2013, 11:38 AM
    Power Poster

I use clamps from Home Depot. Clamp the backing, batting and top. Moving the clamps with each addition. Myglass topped dining table is perfect. I keep moving the quilt and reclamping until all is done. I use large safety pins. Woorks great for me.
    Old 05-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Well, my way is different, I sandwich my quits standing up...something you might want to think about. I bought 2 sheets of rigid insulation that is 4'x8'...cut one of them in half length wise and duct taped them together so I have a design wall that is 6' wide and 8' tall. I did not attach it to the wall because I move it around in my house, and also take it outside to use. I use spray baste from Hancock's to sandwich my quilts.

1st step: pin the backing all away around to the design wall by smoothing from top to bottom and side to side having the wrong side facing you and spray according to directions.
    2nd step: pin batting along the top of the backing leaving the sides and bottom unpinned, spray batting on the side that will be stuck to the backing. Start smoothing at the top of the batting and work you way down (I start in the middle of the quilt and smooth to the outside, like hanging wallpaper).
    3rd step: pin top to the batting and backing along the top only with the right side out. Spray batting and back side of the top and then smooth all the way down, starting in the middle and working your way down.
    4th step: optional - I use a few safety pins, about 1 every 2 feet, just to stabilize the quilt until I am ready to FMQ and bind.

I am 73 years old and this is the only way I sandwich a quilt. I do have to climb up on a step stool because I am only 5' tall, but that is much easier than crawling around on the floor! I move everything to the garage if the weather is bad so that I can't open doors and windows. Also, I don't have any problem with overspray because I stop about a foot from each edge. If a little gets on the floor it doesn't seem to be a problem.
    Old 05-01-2013, 12:18 PM

I use folding tables. The real key for me is to put the batting down first. Then I smooth the backing over it. I generally spray baste of Elmer's baste. I then flip it all over and do the top. The batting seems to set still better on the bottom then the backing does.
    Old 05-01-2013, 12:29 PM
    tj

check out the way sharon schamber does it i have done it like this and it works great no wrinkles in the backing it's great and easy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyaLs..._h42qQ&index=6
    hope it helps =-)
    Old 05-01-2013, 12:51 PM

I am no longer able to get down on the floor to baste my quilts. My knees, even with knee pads, just won't take the abuse. I bought two folding tables from Kmart a month ago. They are 48 x 72 inches. and fold in half for easy storage. They also have a nylon padded carrying handle for easy carrying.

I was super lucky the day I got them. They were on sale for half off of the regular price of $70+++. I will be able to use them in our family room when I need to baste a quilt.
    Old 05-01-2013, 12:52 PM

I use my table starting in the middle and then working each direction.
    Old 05-01-2013, 01:15 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]411194[/ATTACH]This is how I baste on a wall.
    Attached Thumbnails basting-mindys-choice.jpg  
    Old 05-01-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by JNCT14
    I know I have seen threads on this but I must not be using the right keywords. What is a good way to sandwich a quilt? Right now i am doing it on my livingroom floor, but I foresee a day when my knees won't be able to get me up and down. I tried my diningroom table but I found it difficult to keep the backing smooth after I put my batting and quilt top on it and I had to keep tugging and shaking it....I think some of you said to use your local church but mine is about 40 minutes away (Greek Orthodox).

I have not tried the library yet but I hate the idea of having to wait especially if I am in the right frame of mind to sandwich the thing.

Any ideas? or at least how to make my diningroom table work? Thanks!
    I'm lucky that I have access to the dining room at my church. Big stuff goes up there---------although most of my projects are smaller.

any chance of using an 8x4 piece of plywood on saw horses in your garage----------or your living room---------or your basement.
    Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 PM

I use my 30X72 folding table and clamps like others but to make it higher I got some bed risers which are about 6" high that go under the legs. I found the risers for a good price at Big Lots. Sure makes it easier on the back
    Old 05-01-2013, 04:09 PM

I used to use a LQS's tables when they weren't having classes. I have also used church tables when there for quilting.

Now: I use my HQ16.