Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The floor is NOT the best place! >

The floor is NOT the best place!

The floor is NOT the best place!

Old 05-02-2013, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by tj View Post
check out the way sharon schamber does it i have done it like this and it works great no wrinkles in the backing it's great and easy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyaLs..._h42qQ&index=6
hope it helps =-)
Great video. Thank you. Yolanda Wood River
Old 05-02-2013, 05:48 AM

I use 2 banquet tables, side by side, and put them up on cement blocks because I am taller. The cement blocks aren't very stylish but, oh man, do they work. Right now the tables have a king sized bed vintage afghan I am restoring all over them. I rip the afghan squares apart; I work on my son's quilt, I start a set of bread dough going in the bread machine; and I try to figure out what to make for dinner. And today I watch it rain.

For some reason, rain energizes me. Hope you enjoy your day too.

Pat
Old 05-02-2013, 05:51 AM

Check your County Extension Office. Ours has rooms with tables already setup. We can move them into any configuration we desire to sandwich our quilts. Our County Agent is frequently available to assist if needed. The only requirement is that we put the tables back the way we found them so they will be ready for any scheduled functions.

I find that extension offices in rural locations are utilized more than in urban areas. They are a resource of meeting rooms -- we hold our guild meetings and UFO's there free of charge. Many of our churches have started charging for use of their rooms. When I lived in the city, I never set foot in the County Extension Office, but now that I live in a small town, I use the County Extension Service frequently. Also, check your local Senior Citizen Facility, ours also has rooms available for meetings also free of charge.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:52 AM

I saw a demo of a new way. Lets see if I can explain. You get two new 1x4 the lenght you need. Yes lumber. You put the back of the quilt on a table (counter ) and role the back up on the board. The back is wrong side up. Now the top you use right side up and role it up on the board. Now the bulk is tamed. Now you role the back so some of the fabric shows, you can spray it with basting spray if you want. Now put your batting down, place the top over the batting and unrole some or you can spray baste and the start the top. Now if you want to want to run a long basting stich or pin baste you can. Now you continue on as role at at time until you are done. Really tames the large bulk of the fabric and can be done while standing or for the young ones on the floor.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:00 AM

Thank you, Pollyjvan9. I was looking for a stand-up method, and this should work perfectly for me. I am also 5' tall, and with a bad back and hips, bending over a table would be excruciating.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

Great link. Thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 06:06 AM

Leah Day shows another method. I believe it is in her Craftsy class on free motion quilting. She pins, I believe 1/2" or larger elastic to the quilt and then ties the elastic around the table legs, tightening the elastic until she has a smooth surface to pin together. If you have a friend who has the class, ask to see her method. I haven't used it as yet. I do love using the risers to make the table high enough to work on without getting a backache.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:06 AM

I don't use the bed risers to lift up my folding tables, I use PCV pipe and drop the table legs into the pipe. A plumber gave me scrap pipe and even cut it for me. The pipe is about 12" long, but the height can be varied according to your needs.

You don't have to use your church, a friend who attends another church may be able to get permission to use the church tables.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by tj View Post
check out the way sharon schamber does it i have done it like this and it works great no wrinkles in the backing it's great and easy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyaLs..._h42qQ&index=6
hope it helps =-)
I agree- Love the way Sharon Schamber makes sandwiches!!!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 View Post
Well, my way is different, I sandwich my quits standing up...something you might want to think about. I bought 2 sheets of rigid insulation that is 4'x8'...cut one of them in half length wise and duct taped them together so I have a design wall that is 6' wide and 8' tall. I did not attach it to the wall because I move it around in my house, and also take it outside to use. I use spray baste from Hancock's to sandwich my quilts.

1st step: pin the backing all away around to the design wall by smoothing from top to bottom and side to side having the wrong side facing you and spray according to directions.
2nd step: pin batting along the top of the backing leaving the sides and bottom unpinned, spray batting on the side that will be stuck to the backing. Start smoothing at the top of the batting and work you way down (I start in the middle of the quilt and smooth to the outside, like hanging wallpaper).
3rd step: pin top to the batting and backing along the top only with the right side out. Spray batting and back side of the top and then smooth all the way down, starting in the middle and working your way down.
4th step: optional - I use a few safety pins, about 1 every 2 feet, just to stabilize the quilt until I am ready to FMQ and bind.

I am 73 years old and this is the only way I sandwich a quilt. I do have to climb up on a step stool because I am only 5' tall, but that is much easier than crawling around on the floor! I move everything to the garage if the weather is bad so that I can't open doors and windows. Also, I don't have any problem with overspray because I stop about a foot from each edge. If a little gets on the floor it doesn't seem to be a problem.
This sounds great. Are you talking about the foam insulation boards that come in different thicknesses?