Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flynn and Ken Lund Quilting Frames >

Flynn and Ken Lund Quilting Frames

Flynn and Ken Lund Quilting Frames

Old 12-02-2013, 11:33 AM

Default Flynn and Ken Lund Quilting Frames

Has anyone ever used either the Flynn Quilting Frame or the Ken Lund Quilting System? Pros and /or cons please. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

I have seen a lot of negative comments about the Flynn frame from users who found it bulky and difficult to use. A few people seem to master it and love it, though. Have seen lots of positive posts about the Ken Lund frame. If you search the QB for "Ken Lund" you should find several threads about it, including one that modifies the carriage so it works better.

I believe these are very different types of frame also. With the Flynn setup, you are moving the frame; with the Lund setup, you are moving the machine. There are lots of Youtube videos about the Ken Lund frame that you might want to watch. There may be some for the Flynn frame too.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

I saw John Flynn demo his frame at Quilt Market one year. He is a really nice guy. I always just stuck with the old ways of quilting on my Bernina with a good large table. This was just when longarm quilting machines were just beginning to be introduced to quilters.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:06 PM

I have Ken's frame. We changed out the wheels it came with for caster wheels. They helped make swirls much better. The frame set up did work but I haven't used it in over a year. I took it down since my craft room isn't huge. I may get it out someday and try it again. I at least got a taste of what quilting with a frame is like on a budget.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:17 PM

Is the Ken Lund frame even available any longer? I've done several Interenet searches over the past year and have never found one except a couple of used ones on E-Bay.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

I'm pretty sure Ken Lund is still selling frame kits. Here is his website:
http://machine-quilt-frames.blogspot.com/
Old 12-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

When you add the long poles to the Flynn frame it becomes heavy and difficult to move. Plus you need to move the poles all the way in both directions, so you need a very large space to do a large quilt. For a small quilt you don't need the frame. I had one, used it once, sold it to someone who (as far as I know) has not used it at all. I still have the long poles though!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

The Flynn frame works great if you have a large space. I had my machine in the middle of two 6ft tables butted end to end. I could go from one side of the quilt to the other and back and forth. It worked great for general meandering. I haven't used it in a long time. I have been practicing fmq and have gotten pretty good using a sit down quilting machine.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:04 PM

I researched the Flynn frame, and noticed that they have made improvements in the material that is slippery, making it easier to move. I would not get a used one because it probably is made from the older material.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:43 AM

I have a Flynn frame that I used a couple of times, but I am so used to just doing it the old fashioned way (sitting down with my quilt puddled around and having at it) that I didn't like it. I also prefer being able to FMQ larger areas than you can do on a frame with a domestic machine.

Rob