Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I learned yesterday. >

What I learned yesterday.

What I learned yesterday.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:50 AM

Default What I learned yesterday.

I didn’t learn anything that’s new to many of you on here, but I wanted to share anyway because it was a fun experience for me

I had two quilts that needed to be sandwiched so I can quilt them. I pinned the first one. I glued the second one. It was so much faster! I was amazed at how quickly it went. I followed the advice I had read before on the board for smearing out blobs. I probably used too much glue in spots still but it will wash. It took me about a third of the time that it took to pin the first one. I was so excited! I can see why so many folks on here use it.

I purchased a bottle of glue a while ago intending to use it to baste my next quilt. I tried it and had trouble. Then I looked at the bottle and discovered that I had purchased a “no run” version on the glue. It was difficult to get out of the bottle. It also beaded up even when I could get a line of glue out.

I was also very excited yesterday after reading another thread about presser feet to discover on Janome’s website that they now have a ruler foot for my machine! I have a Skyline S7 and it was not recommended to use a ruler foot due to the autolift feature, I believe. The only drawback is that it’s over $60 for the foot. I’m willing to wait and budget for it because I’ve been wanting to try ruler quilting. I’ve seen such beautiful results from it.

Thank you all for letting me share!
Old 04-21-2020, 03:14 PM

Its so much fun when you find something new to you, and can share it in case someone hasn't learned it yet.
A guild I belong to was giving a beginner class, and I signed up with a friend. Another friend thought it was dumb of me
to take the class. My friend and I had so much fun, and we did learn a few new things. Thank you for sharing.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

thanks for sharing your experience
Old 04-21-2020, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

Yay! I switched to glue basting about 15-20 quilts ago. Elmers washable school Glue drizzled straight from the bottle.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

Yay! I switched to glue basting about 15-20 quilts ago. Elmers washable school Glue drizzled straight from the bottle.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:10 AM

That's the great thing about this board. Darn near every day you can read about and/or learn about something new.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:58 AM

Love glue basting. Especially when I can't get to quilting it for a while. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:22 AM

Since I discovered Elmer's Glue Basting I don't see any turning back to pins or even spray basting. It takes a fraction of the time and washes out with ease. Welcome to the club.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:17 AM

I’m confused. How is glue basting easier and faster than spray basting?
Old 04-22-2020, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jshep View Post
I’m confused. How is glue basting easier and faster than spray basting?
I don’t know that it is, to be honest. It’s faster than pinning. I’ve never tried spray basting with a commercial product as it is not in my budget. I have tried a homemade spray and it was okay but not as fast as this.