Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I learned yesterday. >

What I learned yesterday.

What I learned yesterday.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:13 AM
  #11  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,371
Default

I've gotten my spray baste technique down, but I think what I like about it Jshep is that it is much cheaper. Much much much.

I keep saying "next project I'll try glue" and there keeps being a reason why not. Right now my machine is in the shop and I was given a couple of left over bottles of spray to use from another quilter. Then, it is on my to do list!

edit/ps: Also, we have reptiles in the house/rooms where I would use spray baste and I'm concerned about the spray fumes. I have adequate ventilation and all that for humans, but there are no real guidelines for geckos!
Iceblossom is offline  
Old 04-22-2020, 07:23 AM
  #12  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 13,924
Default

I bought a gallon of Elmer's school glue and fill an empty bottle that works perfectly. The Hellman's Squeezable Mayo container. It's drip proof, squeezes easy, and worth buying just for the container. It's the best honey dispenser I've used too. No mess at all.
Onebyone is offline  
Old 04-22-2020, 08:12 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Notwendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI from Columbia, SC
Posts: 420
Default

Originally Posted by Jshep View Post
Iím confused. How is glue basting easier and faster than spray basting?
Spraying may be slightly faster than drizzling glue. However, glue can be used indoors with ease. I wouldn't try that with a spray. : )
Notwendy is offline  
Old 04-22-2020, 09:35 AM
  #14  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 13,924
Default

Originally Posted by Jshep View Post
I’m confused. How is glue basting easier and faster than spray basting?

Spray basting is faster but all the sprays I have used stink and the smell stays while I'm quilting. That is the main reason I use the Elmer's glue basting. I have great results with the homemade spray and use that for large size quilts.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-22-2020 at 12:04 PM. Reason: fix quote formatting
Onebyone is offline  
Old 04-22-2020, 11:28 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 445
Default spray basting with elmer's school white glue

Originally Posted by Jshep View Post
I’m confused. How is glue basting easier and faster than spray basting?
I use this glue for spray basting, just add water to dilute(use samples to get consistency that works with the fabric choice) and then I dry press it or leave it to dry. Then quilt. I only use the Elmers glue to baste. I apply it to binding with a small paint brush and then press. Sharon Schamber has a great video for gluing binding.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-22-2020 at 12:04 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Linda71 is offline  
Old 04-22-2020, 11:37 AM
  #16  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 13,924
Default

Sharon Schamber is the queen of glue in quilts. I was lucky to have a one on one with her in Paducah one year. She was in her booth and no one was around. She talked about her quilt making method and how she was getting into embroidery/applique more then quilting. She said she practically gued her quilts together before sewing them to get them perfect. She is a perfectionist. I found out she and my DD have the same birthday. Explains a lot. My DD is a perfectionist and she stays stressed out all the time about having things perfect, her perfect. LOL
Onebyone is offline  
Old 04-24-2020, 10:53 PM
  #17  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Houston, AK
Posts: 2,115
Default

Originally Posted by Linda71 View Post
I use this glue for spray basting, just add water to dilute(use samples to get consistency that works with the fabric choice) and then I dry press it or leave it to dry. Then quilt. I only use the Elmers glue to baste. I apply it to binding with a small paint brush and then press. Sharon Schamber has a great video for gluing binding.
Iíll have to try your method for a homemade spray. Heaven knows I have enough spray bottles in the house. 😁 I imagine it goes on more evenly than the drizzle method. Thanks for your reply!
MicheleC is offline  
Old 04-24-2020, 11:03 PM
  #18  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Houston, AK
Posts: 2,115
Default

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Sharon Schamber is the queen of glue in quilts. I was lucky to have a one on one with her in Paducah one year. She was in her booth and no one was around. She talked about her quilt making method and how she was getting into embroidery/applique more then quilting. She said she practically gued her quilts together before sewing them to get them perfect. She is a perfectionist. I found out she and my DD have the same birthday. Explains a lot. My DD is a perfectionist and she stays stressed out all the time about having things perfect, her perfect. LOL
I have seen it mentioned about gluing prior to piecing, too. Sue Daley said she uses appliquť glue for seams sometimes on a video I watched. I might have to try it because I sometimes have trouble lining up my points and I dislike pinning. Iíll have to find Sharon Schamber on YouTube.
MicheleC is offline  
Old 04-25-2020, 04:57 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
aashley333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: ranch near south texas coast
Posts: 902
Default

Thanks for sharing. I Googled "Sharon Schamber" and watched and learned from about 4 related videos. (Gotta go back and watch the one about pool noodles for basting...)

That's why I love this quilting board!
aashley333 is offline  
Old 04-25-2020, 04:33 PM
  #20  
Suz
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,784
Default

Okay, fellow quilters. Is there a formula for the consistency of glue for glue basting? And dropping from a mayo container??? Please give some directions. Thank you. ------ I have never tried the glue basting but will try on my next project to be quilted. I have always pin basted but since hand surgery, hooking and closing pins is difficult for me.
Suz is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter