Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki 2010Q quilting on Ken Lund frame >

Juki 2010Q quilting on Ken Lund frame

Juki 2010Q quilting on Ken Lund frame

Old 02-22-2017, 07:26 AM

Default Juki 2010Q quilting on Ken Lund frame

Hello everyone! Am a new member and new at quilting on a frame. I just purchased one of Ken Lund quilting frames. I also purchased a new Juki 2010Q to go along with it. My problem is I have broken at lease 15 needles and that was on the first row of blocks. I have rethread the Juki, test the tension, I have been going very very slow and I am still am breaking needles ! So I switched it out and put my SE-400 Brother on the frame and haven't broke one needle and have done almost the whole queen size quilt. The only thing is the SE does not have enough throat space to do very much quilting.
Is their anyone that could give me some suggestions on what might be wrong with using my Juki?
Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-22-2017, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

What size and type of needle is in the Juki? You may need a larger needle. Also, the thread tensions may be set too tight for FMQ.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:19 AM

Welcome to the board!

15 broken needles is a lot! How does the Juki work off the frame? It sounds to me like there is a problem with the machine.

Off the frame, does the needle graze the stitch plate? What size and type of needle are you using? Is the needle seating correctly into the needle bar? Are the needles breaking at a specific point in the quilting (in tight loops, always when you head northwest, etc.), or is it random?

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble... You might have to take the Juki back to the dealer and have them look at it. This is not good behaviour for a new machine!
Old 02-22-2017, 03:46 PM

YAHOO!!����. I figured out what was happening!! (I just put my quilting frame together this weekend).
How you know that everyone quilts in different ways. Ken Lund quilting frame is Awesome. I asked him to suggest a quilting machine that would be compatible with his frames. I knew that my SE-400 would not be able to quilt like I wanted to. He suggested the Juki. Following his advice I purchased a Juki 2010Q. I Love It!!! Thank you Ken Lund. Okay enough of that.
We followed the directions that were given. It mentions to put tracks on each side of the frames for the wheels to roll on sideways. When I started I noticed that it was getting hung up on the track, when that would happen it would then bend the needle (not knowing it) I would quilt and then the needle would brake. The Juki is very heavy and I feel that the weight was pushing against the frame to much causing it to bind up. I removed the tracks and haven't broke a needle!! Almost done with the quilt. Had to stop to make dinner.,
So for those of you who wish they could have a long arm quilting frame to do quilts and the price is out of reach, check out Ken Lund quilting frame on You Tube. I have been looking for long arm machine with the frame but they were way out of my price range. Looked at used ones, wasn't comfortable with that because I didn't know much about them to know what I was getting. Ken Lund is very helpful when you have questions. I give him 5 stars!

Blessing to everyone.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:28 PM

I'm so glad you found the solution to your problems! And thanks for the review for the Ken Lund frames I've been thinking of buying one one of these days, but at the moment I only have a Brother XR3420, a simple quilting machine with a small throat. I don't know if it would work.