Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ with ruler >

FMQ with ruler

FMQ with ruler

Old 07-07-2012, 06:35 AM

I've never tried the ruler for fmq, but I have used templates made of thin cardboard or template plastic. Stuck them down with double-stick tape and stitched around them; lift them up and move to the next spot. It's a little slow, but works well. I like tissue boxes and thin template plastic as they don't damage the needle (or anything else) if I stitch too close.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:37 AM

I took a FMQ class and the shop had rulers for this. They were sbout twice the thickness of a regular ruler and had two small knobs for holding them in place. Espdcially good for SID. Worked fine with all the mschines in the class.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:25 PM

Lynn,

I would go for the HQ Sweet Sixteen and paint the house myself! lol
Old 07-12-2012, 03:41 PM

I have the sweet 16 and love it, still have not figured out how to hold the ruler and free motion quilt too. Think I just need to practice more. When you can get it I swear you will LOVE it. Its' so easy to use
Old 07-31-2012, 04:55 AM

Thanks again for suggestions. DH did paint the house last time, but that was some years ago before his quadruple bypass and mini strokes. I plan to do some of the lower stuff, but not the second floor ladder thing. Have been working slowly on a FMQ project, but still haven't found anything to use as a thick ruler with it. I hate the walking foot. Mine keeps sticking or something every few stitches, and I have to flick the little thingy that sticks out on the right. Also it doesn't seem to work right with the batting. Should take Jan to the dealer for help on it, but never get around to it. Oh, well, one keeps going.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:04 AM

I use rulers with my sweet 16 occasionally. As long as you have a hopping foot for your domestic and you use the real quilting rulers (1/4 " high), you should be ok. For those of you who have no used these rulers, they are thick enough that they don't fit under your foot so you can't sew over them. Also note the sweet 16 is a sit down model while the 16 is a frame model. In a sit down you move the fabric under the needle while on a frame you move the machine over the fabric.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:29 PM

I once used a dog bowl with a fat lip around the top to quilt circles. I use the 1/4 inch rulers made for the longarm alot.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:22 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
I use rulers with my sweet 16 occasionally. As long as you have a hopping foot for your domestic and you use the real quilting rulers (1/4 " high), you should be ok. For those of you who have no used these rulers, they are thick enough that they don't fit under your foot so you can't sew over them. Also note the sweet 16 is a sit down model while the 16 is a frame model. In a sit down you move the fabric under the needle while on a frame you move the machine over the fabric.
Yes CanoePam is right about the rulers for the Sweet 16 being thicker. I just did a class yesterday using a HQ Sweet 16 sit down and I am in love with the machine but not the price!
We used a ruler which was a really funny shape and I think it was called a Versatool (dont know brand but the ruler was called that) they had all different kinds but that was the one they recommended to start with as you could do curves, corners and straight lines but as the ruler was not long you just had to move it along more often.
As to your question can you use a ruler with your regular machine, a lady there asked that and they said yes but be very careful as depending on your machine the ruler might fit under the foot and that would not be a good thing. SHe also said by all means try but be extremely careful.