Thread: FMQ with ruler
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 06:22 PM
blahel

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
I use rulers with my sweet 16 occasionally. As long as you have a hopping foot for your domestic and you use the real quilting rulers (1/4 " high), you should be ok. For those of you who have no used these rulers, they are thick enough that they don't fit under your foot so you can't sew over them. Also note the sweet 16 is a sit down model while the 16 is a frame model. In a sit down you move the fabric under the needle while on a frame you move the machine over the fabric.
Yes CanoePam is right about the rulers for the Sweet 16 being thicker. I just did a class yesterday using a HQ Sweet 16 sit down and I am in love with the machine but not the price!
We used a ruler which was a really funny shape and I think it was called a Versatool (dont know brand but the ruler was called that) they had all different kinds but that was the one they recommended to start with as you could do curves, corners and straight lines but as the ruler was not long you just had to move it along more often.
As to your question can you use a ruler with your regular machine, a lady there asked that and they said yes but be very careful as depending on your machine the ruler might fit under the foot and that would not be a good thing. SHe also said by all means try but be extremely careful.