Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fmq

Fmq

I just purchased a Juki 2010Q and would like to try FMQ. I purchased the gloves, and quilted a few scraps today. Does anyone have any suggestions for me other than practice? Should I purchase anything other than the gloves?
    Thanks

Google Leah Day's website - she has amazing tips. Practice a lot and relax.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Use a hopping foot, anjd practice, practice, practice!!! I'm still practicing.
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

I,m still practicing, and the thing I love is the Supreme Slider for FMQ.
    Leah Day recommends it, and I find it so much easier to move your fabric
    around. Good luck.
    Oh, and by the way, I have the Juki 2010q and simply love it. I,m sure you
    will too.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

When I first start FMQ, I purchased the gloves from Fons & Porter and they worked great! However, I have since found that the "finger grippers" work best for me (bought them from Connecting Threads and I'm am sure other places sell them as well). Just like everyone else states, practice, practice, practice! Remember not to be so hard on yourself in the beginning because you'll get better as you go along. Good luck and post pics of your progress!
    God, Wonderful Family, Great Health, Awesome Friends, Quilting & Chocolates - - What more could a girl be blessed with!!

Yes as everyone has told you go to www.DayStyleDesigns.com it's Leah's site I have just started to do FMQ myself and I bought her DVDs for Free Motion Quilting Basics for beginners and my FMQ has improved a lot! I am now waiting for my Slider to arrive from where I purchused it from E Bay for 25.00 and that included shipping.Leah shows you how to adapt a generic hopping foot for FMQ and it does work!Also thread use Polester thread which I use for machine embroidery and you can buy at JoAnns.I also use Fons And Porters gloves but am looking to get the ones she suggests
    To be only in her 20's she can FMQ,and she gives advice on what to use for the most of your money..
    Retta97

Listen to your machine. I can tell by the sound when I've hit that "sweet spot" where my hands and machine are at just the right speed to make decent stitches. I've done a few quilts but still get nervous when I get ready to start one. Also....be sure and breathe!!! You'll be surprised how often you find yourself holding your breath.
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

I made the juki 98 e purchase and haven't taken it out of the box to practice...too much of a chicken!!!
    Remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,

but by the moments that take our breath away.

I just got a new Juki and am getting ready to begin FMQ on it......that beginner's fear is always with me! LOL!

Make sure that you are sitting high enough, or you sewing surface is low enough that you aren't hunching up your shoulders or you'll end up with very sore neck and shoulder muscles.
    Bambi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast