Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board >

Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board

Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board

Old 09-04-2015, 02:17 PM

A good suggestion, and I do it when I can. It is difficult for some of us to post individual comments what with arthritis and such.

I would like to be able to "like" quilts as that is much easier on me, my shoulders, arms and hands.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:34 PM

In the past, when I have tried to post a comment of one word, such as "beautiful", I've been told the comment is too short. I don't know if that's still true, but sometimes just one word is all that's needed.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:20 PM

I'm with cathyvv and Julie, short and sweet is needed.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:00 AM
Power Poster

If it were me, I might say, "Looks like you put a lot of effort into this quilt. If I were you I would look for a quilt guild or LQS in your area where you could find other quilters who could give you a lot of clues and tips to make your quilting easier and a lot more fun. We all have to start somewhere but being with more advanced quilters sure did help me. Also, there are many tutorials on You Tube from MSQC and others on great ways to make quilts. Good luck"

QUOTE=Quilt30;7306499]Ok. Let me ask this question. Lets say a post is made and the quilter says he/she is a new quilter and this is the first quilt and asks for comments. The picture posted clearly shows workmanship that everything is wrong. Not just a mistake here and there.....but really bad work. What kind of comments does one make. Clearly the person needs help. There is no indication in the post of attempting to learn, in fact the poster says he/she is a self learner. Advice of "practice, practice, practice" is clearly not what the person needs. But, there are 150 comments that says, "been there", beautifutiful colors", "no quilt police here, you can do whatever you want", "the person receiving the quilt will appreciate it". Come on......someone who knows nothing about quilting can see mismatched seams. So what should one do......just ignore the post if you can't say something positive. This is the day and age of learning on the internet from many view points. What does one do?

an[/QUOTE]
Old 09-05-2015, 04:41 AM

Twinkie, you are a kind soul. I appreciate your thoughts.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

I do the same and add !!!!!!! because I mean it. I have a tendency to comment and ramble also.
Originally Posted by julie View Post
In the past, when I have tried to post a comment of one word, such as "beautiful", I've been told the comment is too short. I don't know if that's still true, but sometimes just one word is all that's needed.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by julie View Post
I think the reason you are told the comment is too short is that you were typing your comment in the body of the Quote you were trying to answer. That's happened to me numerous times. Now I know what to do about it. If the original quote has more paragraphs, that is easy to miss in this really small space they give you to type your answer to the post. Be sure and look for the [/Quote] at the end of the post before you answer.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
Ok. Let me ask this question. Lets say a post is made and the quilter says he/she is a new quilter and this is the first quilt and asks for comments. The picture posted clearly shows workmanship that everything is wrong. Not just a mistake here and there.....but really bad work. What kind of comments does one make. Clearly the person needs help. There is no indication in the post of attempting to learn, in fact the poster says he/she is a self learner. Advice of "practice, practice, practice" is clearly not what the person needs. But, there are 150 comments that says, "been there", beautifutiful colors", "no quilt police here, you can do whatever you want", "the person receiving the quilt will appreciate it". Come on......someone who knows nothing about quilting can see mismatched seams. So what should one do......just ignore the post if you can't say something positive. This is the day and age of learning on the internet from many view points. What does one do?
I agree with this. I cringe when people say it's beautiful, just leave it, no one will notice, etc, when it is obvious something really needs to be fixed. How will you feel 20 years from now if you let it go like that? There was one quilt posted a few years back that was just beautiful, except for one edge. I think the quilt was quilted but not yet bound. This was one you could see from the back of a galloping horse! Literally! And yet there were those that said leave it, no one else will notice. At that point I would get help to fix it if I couldn't fix it myself.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:21 AM

The comment about people being able to view but not comment because they haven't joined the board is very likely. When I've done searches about quilting topics in a search engine(Google etc) links to posts on this board are almost always in the Search results. I'm not sure if clicking on the link that leads to a posting on this board goes into the count, but it seems logical that it would. "Only the Webmaster Knows". I will say if I'm in the pictures area and a posting has pages of comments, I know anything I would say has already been said-so unless I'm just bowled over by the project I don't respond-I definitely do if there haven't been many responses. Unless the Thumper principal is involved ( if you can't say something nice...) not everything appeals to everyone-that's reality. What we can do is keep quilting-because we all have like minded quilters and I'm very grateful for that!
Old 09-05-2015, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

As far as the short and sweet, I do believe every response has a minimum of 10 characters. So if you just want to post "wow" or "Gorgeous" or "Beautiful" you will need to add some other characters like exclamation points. I think if you add an emoticon that seems to take the place of more than just one character but I am not positive as I rarely use them. The 10 character rule is kind of stupid IMHO but I am lowly user and not power that be and anyone who knows me on this board knows I am rarely at a loss for stuff to type.

I agree with Dunster. I think an insightful comment adds more to the discussion and thought process and makes the board more enjoyable. So I prefer to add a little more than "beautiful". I too like to know all the tech details like pattern source, batting used, thread used etc. I try very hard to include that information on pictures I post and even to include a little how to if possible.

It is really nice to get a lot of comments and when I first joined the board, it meant a lot to me, that someone took the time to post something to one of my threads. I for one am elated there is no "like" button or other similar tool that takes zero thought or effort. Leave that to FB.

The fact is many people like to just lurk and look and not participate. I bet there are a lot of those here and also people that don't sign up but just look as well. I am like that on a few other forums where I am a lurker and don't even have a log in. Also, some people find it difficult to type so won't post unless something truly motivates them to. Nothing will ever change either of those things (lurkers and physical limitations). So there will always be a disproportionate amount of views to posts.