Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board >

Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board

Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board

Old 09-05-2015, 06:00 AM

I prefer to receive and give thoughtful comments. If I don't have anything to say besides "looks cute" then I don't comment and I don't expect others to comment on my pictures when they don't have thoughtful comments to add to the discussion.

The same way that you extrapolated from your own feelings that everyone wants to receive a lot of comments, I have extrapolated from my feelings that a one or two word comment is unnecessary.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:34 AM

Maybe we need a "facebook" smiley face?? Or a "like"/"love" button?? But that would not constitute enough letters unless we did 10 smiley faces. When I post or someone else, I appreciate a few well written criticism or statements rather than 2 pages that say "very pretty". But that's me, I am more of a cut and dried person.

I also appreciate, very much, when someone posts, pattern and designer (if known), fabric used, etc and not just "I made this". Now I understand some people are not "writers, but just a list is very helpful. But I never turn down a great story of how it came about. LOL. I can be long winded LOL

While I'm on a roll, I also love when someone put a descriptive title, it makes it easier to go back and find articles. "Help" or "New Quilt" makes it harder to wade through multiple posts. OK done for now LOL!!

Last edited by AZ Jane; 09-05-2015 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-05-2015, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca_S View Post
I prefer to receive and give thoughtful comments. If I don't have anything to say besides "looks cute" then I don't comment and I don't expect others to comment on my pictures when they don't have thoughtful comments to add to the discussion.

The same way that you extrapolated from your own feelings that everyone wants to receive a lot of comments, I have extrapolated from my feelings that a one or two word comment is unnecessary.
I concur. If a couple people have commented on the beauty, I refrain because if I am going to read through pages of comments I want there to be meaningful discussion. I often don't contribute especially a simple compliment if the same thoughts have already been expressed.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:19 AM

Great idea.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:27 AM

I don't care if 27 people say it the same way, it feels good! It's like "happy birthday"; how many ways are there to say that? But to hear it 27 times that way vs. just 3 ways, well I will take the friendly repetition!
Old 09-05-2015, 07:28 AM

I make comments when I have something to add to the conversation. If I am going to do nothing but repeat what has already been said, I do not leave a comment. I also do not leave a comment if the only thing I have to say is very negative.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:24 AM

I totally agree with the sentiment, but one problem could be lack of time, I am guilty of looking only at the quilts that interest me (appliques, scraps) and I do not comment sometime because it seems trite to repeat the same words over and over but I see the point, I will try to participate more. thanks
Old 09-05-2015, 08:28 AM

I understand your post and agree wholeheartedly. Even when a post is a question about color or some other choice, it is nice to see that others have noticed and have taken the time to help or to just give that pat on the back.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:29 AM

Guilty as charged. I read but don't comment very often at all. I'll try to do better.

Last edited by Donna in Bellevue; 09-05-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:03 AM

Quilty as charged! I will do better and thank you for the reminder that a kind word is never used in vain.