Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: free motion speed

Banned
    I know that constant speed is absolutely necessary in free motion quilting. Unlike some of the newer machines where you have a control button for your speed, my older Singer (1984 electronic) does not. Does anyone have an idea on how I could improvise something to keep me from going too fast on my sewing machine? I can not seem to keep a constant pressure with my foot.

If you have the foot pedal that you push down, is there a way to attach something like a block of cardboard or a dowel so that you can only push it down so far? That is what I do.

Then you just push it all the way down until it hits the block.

Blog Entries
    Someone on this board said to use lowest speed on machine and floor it. It worked for me.

Blog Entries
    A piece of dense foam? A little bag full of rice? :D:D:D

I don't now about the other tips but what works for me on my old Singer is to take my shoe off :!: Then I just use my big toe/s and have a better control on it. The other tip that a couple of my
    quilting class ladies use, is to turn the pedal back to front :shock: I haven't a clue as to why it works for them but it does, go figure :lol:

I like to put a phone book under my heel (but not under the pedal!). I think I got that tip from Leah Day's website. It sounds weird, but it changes the angle of the foot and makes it much easier to control the pedal speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrie1940
    I know that constant speed is absolutely necessary in free motion quilting. Unlike some of the newer machines where you have a control button for your speed, my older Singer (1984 electronic) does not. Does anyone have an idea on how I could improvise something to keep me from going too fast on my sewing machine? I can not seem to keep a constant pressure with my foot.
    there is a hole in my foot pedal...i put an 'all-thread' screw in it and set to speed i want to maintain....of course unthread needle when setting it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    If you have the foot pedal that you push down, is there a way to attach something like a block of cardboard or a dowel so that you can only push it down so far? That is what I do.

Then you just push it all the way down until it hits the block.
    Just like magic! I used the top off my seam ripper as a speed stop on my foot pedal. I hope anyone else having control problems finds this as a solution also. It is really GREAT! :thumbup:

Just like magic! I used the top off my seam ripper as a speed stop on my foot pedal. I hope anyone else having control problems finds this as a solution also. It is really GREAT!
    I must remember that one, what a terrific tip