Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Freezer paper, fusible web, etc. I'm confused! >

Freezer paper, fusible web, etc. I'm confused!

Freezer paper, fusible web, etc. I'm confused!

Old 03-14-2010, 11:22 AM

Okay, I'm a newbie quilter (going on about 8 weeks now) and keep hearing about the following things:

Wonder Under
Steam a Seam
Freezer Paper
Fusible Web
Fusible interfacing

and the list could go on...

I assume that they are all used with applique but when do you use which one? What are the advantages of one over the other? Oh, and I'm intersted in machine applique, not hand if that matters.

Thanks, I really can't wrap my brain around this little issue.

:)
Old 03-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

Wonder Under and Steam-a-Seam are two fusibles you can use for raw-edge applique. Typically you trace a pattern onto them (they come with a paper backing on each side), iron them on to the back of your applique fabric (which transfers one side of the adhesive to the fabric), cut out the pattern
along your traced lines, then fuse the shape to your background fabric. This makes a permanent fuse. Most people then machine stitch around the edges, as the edges can fray from washing/drying. This is a quick applique method and especially useful for wallhangings and art applications that won't get a lot of hard wear.

Fusible web is similar but is very fine. Misty Fuse is the current best on the market. I haven't used this yet, but the applications would be similar to the above. I think it is a little harder to work with, but it does not stiffen the fabric nearly as much.

Fusible interfacing has fusible dots on only one side. (The ones above have adhesive on both sides.) Typically you would use this by sewing it around the edges of your applique, leaving a hole for turning, then turn right-side-out and iron. It gives your applique a turned-under edge so you don't have to worry about fraying. This technique is not suitable for fine details in applique; it works best for things such as large flowers, large leaves, etc.

Freezer paper is my preferred method for machine applique. Harriet Hargrave has *wonderful* books explaining this method. Basically you trace your design onto the non-shiny side of the freezer paper, cut out the shape, iron the shiny side to the wrong side of your applique fabric, cut the fabric about 1/4" all around outside the edge of the freezer paper, then use glue to turn under the edges over the freezer paper. After machine appliqueing the piece to the background fabric, I cut away the background fabric underneath and remove the freezer paper. There are other ways of using freezer paper too, but they all involve created a turned edge for your applique pieces.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

Fusible interfacing or fusible web are the generic terms for a product that is used to permanently stick two pieces of fabric together. It has adhesive on both sides. It is covered by paper so you can draw your design on and cut the design out. You then pull ONE side of the paper off and iron it to the BACK side of your fabric. Once you cut out your shape from the fabric, you peel the paper backing and iron the fabric down on your block. Usually, you want to sew the edge down with a blanket stitch or a zigzag stitch.

Wonder Under, Steam-a-seam (or steam-a-seam2 my favorite) are brand names of the above-mentioned. (like Kleenex is the brand name for tissue) They vary in thickness and some gum up the needle. It is personal preference. Using this type of interfacing can leave the applique a bit stiff.

When you iron the fusible to your iron - there will be many bad words uttered - it leaves a nasty mess. (Ask me how I know)

Freezer paper is not fused. It is used to cut out applique shapes and the shiny side will temporarily stick to fabric.

If you iron the freezer paper to the back side of fabric and applique it down, you have to plan on getting the paper out at some point. (So it won't become a mess in the wash).

If you iron the freezer paper to the top of the fabric, you can use the edge as a paper-turn guide and simply pull the paper off when you are done.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Fusible interfacing or fusible web are the generic terms for a product that is used to permanently stick two pieces of fabric together. It has adhesive on both sides. It is covered by paper so you can draw your design on and cut the design out. You then pull ONE side of the paper off and iron it to the BACK side of your fabric. Once you cut out your shape from the fabric, you peel the paper backing and iron the fabric down on your block. Usually, you want to sew the edge down with a blanket stitch or a zigzag stitch.

Wonder Under, Steam-a-seam (or steam-a-seam2 my favorite) are brand names of the above-mentioned. (like Kleenex is the brand name for tissue) They vary in thickness and some gum up the needle. It is personal preference. Using this type of interfacing can leave the applique a bit stiff.

When you iron the fusible to your iron - there will be many bad words uttered - it leaves a nasty mess. (Ask me how I know)

Freezer paper is not fused. It is used to cut out applique shapes and the shiny side will temporarily stick to fabric.

If you iron the freezer paper to the back side of fabric and applique it down, you have to plan on getting the paper out at some point. (So it won't become a mess in the wash).

If you iron the freezer paper to the top of the fabric, you can use the edge as a paper-turn guide and simply pull the paper off when you are done.
Great help for this new quilter....it was nice of you to write...I do a LOT of applique and much prefer the freezer paper on top..it is called needle turn and provides a nice guide for the pattern and you can do very small pieces very easily this way... hugs to all of you ...SG
Old 03-16-2010, 09:29 AM

I'm glad you asked, it can be confussing.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:54 AM
Banned

Great! I was wondering the same thing. I get confused.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:59 AM

Fusible web is, very simply, solidified glue that when heated with an iron, will melt and stick (fuse) two surfaces together. Wonder Under, Steam-a-Seam, Misty Fuse and others, are all brand names of different fusible webs. (it's called 'web' because the glue strands are arranged web like)

Fusible interfacing, along with fusible fleece and fusible batting, are all products with a heat sensitive adhesive surface that makes it easier to stick that product to something else.