Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Freezer paper help needed >

Freezer paper help needed

Freezer paper help needed

Old 07-28-2014, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Those were my first thoughts, too. I've never had a problem with freezer paper holding tightly even to unwashed fabric that went through the mail.
*sigh*
I am another one who has had the problems with freezer paper ... and keep wondering why it does not stay stuck long enough for me to write on for a quilt label.

Yes, Reynolds, waxed side, pre-washed, and no softener sheets.

So, I am looking forward to any tips and tricks to make it stick without added glues!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:59 AM

I'd use blue painters tape to wrap around the edges. It will also keep the signatures within the 1/4 inch seam allowance.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

I use Reynolds freezer paper and my iron set on cotton with no steam. I have not had any problems with it lifting until I peel it off. Freezer sticks best if only used once. I don't believe it is possible to iron freezer paper the wrong way up or it would stick to the iron.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
*sigh*
I am another one who has had the problems with freezer paper ... and keep wondering why it does not stay stuck long enough for me to write on for a quilt label.

Yes, Reynolds, waxed side, pre-washed, and no softener sheets.

So, I am looking forward to any tips and tricks to make it stick without added glues!
The only thing I can think of, then, is that perhaps the iron is not hot enough? I use the cotton setting on my Rowenta, which is quite hot.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:01 AM

just a thought maybe it because you are in Florida and the humidity is causing the problem
Old 07-28-2014, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
The only thing I can think of, then, is that perhaps the iron is not hot enough? I use the cotton setting on my Rowenta, which is quite hot.
Actually, I had wondered if my iron was too hot!
Also, wondered if the freezer paper could be too old?
Old 07-28-2014, 11:17 AM

Well that is just plain weird. I've used freezer paper for years to make stencils and masks for fabric painting and I've stuck it to all sorts of fabrics - including knits - with zero troubles. It sticks down tight enough that I can paint over it without any leakage. If you start stretching and bending and pulling around on the fabric it will let go (especially on something like a knit), but if you keep it relatively flat it SHOULD stick quite well.

Pressure, maybe? I tend to have a heavy hand, maybe you need to press harder?? Is your ironing board really cushy? If so, maybe try pressing on a harder surface?

What makes freezer paper stick is that you're actually melting the plastic layer just a little bit. Not sure that info really helps, but I suppose humidity could be the culprit.(??)
Old 07-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Actually, I had wondered if my iron was too hot!
Also, wondered if the freezer paper could be too old?
I don't think it gets old because the plastic doesn't melt until heated with an iron. However, I am wondering if you could have a bad batch of freezer paper. Maybe purchase another roll and see if that works better? I have used freezer paper from half a dozen rolls (all Reynolds), some of them quite old, and never had the problem you have.

If a new roll of Reynolds freezer paper doesn't work, then I have to wonder about humidity. But I don't see how humidity could be a factor. Does the freezer paper stick fine at first, and then gradually come off? Or does it not stick well from the very beginning?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Does it matter if the fabric has been washed or not for the signatures to stay on the fabric?
Old 07-28-2014, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Does it matter if the fabric has been washed or not for the signatures to stay on the fabric?
My gut reaction would 'yes' because the chemical finishes applied to the fabric surface intentionally inhibit things from adhering to and penetrating the fibers. Dyes, paints, inks, all work better on prepared for dyeing (PFD) fabric which is the same as prewashed fabric that is then dried without additives. No reason that wouldn't be true for micron pens, etc as well.

Last edited by ghostrider; 07-28-2014 at 01:04 PM.