Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Freezer paper help needed >

Freezer paper help needed

Freezer paper help needed

Old 07-28-2014, 06:05 AM

Default Freezer paper help needed

I am doing a signature quilt for a wedding. From what I have read it is easier for people to write on if I iron freezer paper onto the fabric first. I have ironed the paper on then cut my blocks but the freezer paper keeps coming off. I have to transport the squares from FL to PA and I am afraid that all the paper will be off by the time I get there. I have tried different settings on my iron (first wool as I had read then cotton). Am I doing something wrong or is that just the nature of the freezer paper? if so, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Daryl
cdr1182
Old 07-28-2014, 06:21 AM

My suggestions are theoretical only; I have not tried them myself, but this is what I would try if faced with this situation. I would try to put a dab of glue on the corners of the oversized fabric, set it on the waxed side of the freezer paper, let it dry a bit, then iron. It might still let go except where glued, but at least it should lie flat beneath the signature fabric.

Another thing I think I would probably do, given the handling and traveling, etc. is to sew the very edges of the once-again oversized fabric to a piece of cardstock. Then you absolutely know it's going to stay in place. This way, there's no possibility of glue residue and you can use up some of your dull needles and rotary blades to cut the signed piece away from the cardstock when you return back home.

Hope these suggestions help. Let us know how you do.

And, finally, blessings for such a thoughtful gift.

~Jo
Old 07-28-2014, 06:24 AM

I haven't had problems with freezer paper coming off like that. Perhaps others can give you some advice on that.

I did want to add that when doing signature blocks I have used a template made out of poster board or card stock that the quilt block fit into which allowed for seam allowances. If you just give someone a piece of fabric to write on some will go all the way to the edge and their name will be cut off. The template also gave a firm surface to write on. To make the template I used a solid piece of stock to make the back and the front I cut out the center so it was like a picture frame. They had to write within the cut out space. I taped one edge together like a hinge so you could easily put the fabric square in and take it out. If you are going to have someone working at the table where this is being done they could do that. Three to four frames is usually plenty as they are reused. I used Pigma pens so they didn't wash out.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Could do couple baste stitches opposite each other. Clip when ready to use.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Did you wash the fabric first? If so, did you use softener or starch? Sometimes the sizing, softener or starch keeps fusibles & freezer paper from sticking. It's been my experience that the freezer paper sticks pretty well.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Did you wash the fabric first? The problem may be the fabric rather than the freezer paper. If the fabric has not been washed, there may be some kind of temporary finish on it from the manufacturer.

Alternatively, it's possible you got a bad batch of freezer paper. I have ironed freezer paper to both washed and unwashed fabric, and used several different rolls, and have never had the problem you are having.

Is it Reynolds freezer paper? That is the only brand I use.

Given the situation you have now, what I would do is use tiny dots of Elmer's white washable school glue in each corner and iron to set. Or, use a washable glue stick in the same way. This will definitely provide adhesion. To remove the paper later on, just use your finger dipped in water to dampen the corners, wait a minute or two to allow the glue to soften, and peel off the paper.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:13 AM

Might be a silly question, but are you making sure you're putting the shiny side down to the fabric?

And it absolutely has to be freezer paper. Not parchment paper, not waxed paper...
Old 07-28-2014, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

it's not imperative that the blocks have freezer paper on them. Use Micron Pigma Pens, size .05 is best. smaller sizes would tend to scratch or move the fabric. Have fun and good luck.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:32 AM

I don't use freezer paper at all. I tape sandpaper on a piece of cardboard,folks stabilize the block on that while they write with a pigma pen. The piece of cardboard with sandpaper is appropriately decorated.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Might be a silly question, but are you making sure you're putting the shiny side down to the fabric?

And it absolutely has to be freezer paper. Not parchment paper, not waxed paper...
Those were my first thoughts, too. I've never had a problem with freezer paper holding tightly even to unwashed fabric that went through the mail.