Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frustrating! >

Frustrating!

Frustrating!

Old 09-04-2009, 11:49 AM

So, I've just started my very first free motion quilting on my quilt. I practiced and practiced and "thought" I had it figured out. Now that I've started my quilt, it looks HORRIBLE! It looks like my toddler's pictures that he scribbles all over. Any suggestions????? Tips??? I even sewed my finger! Is it bad to unpick this?
Old 09-04-2009, 01:14 PM

If you are not happy, definately take the time to unpick and try again. I've done this several times.... FM definately takes lots and lots of practice. :evil:
Old 09-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

oh my, do sections or blocks. try not to think of the "whole" quilt. it can be overwhelming. move the quilt slower than the foot pedal speed.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Yes, start out small....even to gain confidence, sandwich a couple of scrap fabrics, table throw size. I started out using my pounce on a stencil of stippling to gain the rhythm and direction. You will get it!! And, you will be surprised how quick it will come! Keep it up! And, practice-practice!! And, it won't hurt to rip this out on the quilt you were working on if you are that unhappy with it....but, get a second opinion first from someone who matters on that or that you value their opinions.....sometimes we are our worst critics!:)Skeat
Old 09-04-2009, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
oh my, do sections or blocks. try not to think of the "whole" quilt. it can be overwhelming. move the quilt slower than the foot pedal speed.
Ditto. Take it one block at a time.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:10 PM

What wrong with it? is it just the "design"? or is it stitch lenghth and the actual threading? if it is the "design" try getting a water sol. marker and marking the blocks up the way you want it to look! then just stitch over the lines! I still have to draw my quilting lines or I hate the way it looks! I can't just FREE motion anything! but I can free hand draw designs and then trace over the lines:)

it gets better and easier and you will enjoy it soon!
Old 09-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

I agree....first, like everything else, you must practice, practice, practice...make lots of sandwiches and just think of it like drawing...but instead of moving your pencil (the needle)...you are moving the paper...(the quilt). I still draw lots of my patterns also..I don't draw the stippling or just a meander...I figure that once its done..it is what it is and it will look fine. I like to draw my designs on tracing types of paper, pin it to the quilt and stitch over that. It tears off really easily. Thats for something that I don't have a stencil for. Those I mark with the blue markers. Good luck! Just don't give up!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

I took a free motion machine quilting class, cost me a fortune. The class was given sample squares to start with. They were wool batting, quality cotton fabric, and silk thread for the top and bobbin. Everyone was thrilled their quilting looked so great for the first sample. Then she had everyone sew a sample using machine cotton thread, cotton batting, and muslin. Everyone was shocked how bad their quilting looked. She said if you had done the first sample using the second sampler most of you would have said I can't do this, it looks horrible and be discouraged from trying. Start with the best first!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:59 AM

So sorry it's not turned out as you expected, I am sure it it frustrating. I've not tried FMQ yet because I'm afraid I'll mess the project up. But reading all of the advice above is good to hear. I especially like the advice about using a stencil - that had never occurred to me, and I think may just give me the push to try.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Banned

Check Leahdays posting in links and resources : http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/24714.page

She has these fmq patterns on youtube , so you can see her doing them , also . I watched some of them yesterday , wonderful :D . Annie