Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gathered sashing or borders

Have noticed on some small quilts, that the sashing or borders have been gathered and it looks nice. Anyone tried this? Or are my eyes decieving me?

Blog Entries
    I"ve seen it also, it sure looks nice, but I haven"t tried it.

Yes it looks really nice used in a baby quilt.

Blog Entries
    Both sides of the fabric is gathered and then sewn into the quilts. Using a gathering foot helps keep your gathers nice and even. You can pick them up for $10 or less online :wink:

You will see this a lot in heirloom quilts. I just watched Martha Pullen demonstrate this yesterday morning on her tv show :D:D:D

I do not have a gathering foot, it would save a lot of work, wouldn't it? Might have to check it out, if I decided to try this out or go with my double row of gathering threads. Still, it makes a nice quilt as I said.

Blog Entries
    I haven't tried this yet, but am planning on putting some ruffles or shirring in some baby quilts. I don't have a gathering foot, but I read to lay a "heavy" string down, and zigzag over it (not catching it) then pulling on the string to make your gathers. Then sew into place.

Nevah heard of it or seen it!

If you have a serger, you could gather both sides of your sashing or border on the serger. Then you could sew it to your block or quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter girl
    I haven't tried this yet, but am planning on putting some ruffles or shirring in some baby quilts. I don't have a gathering foot, but I read to lay a "heavy" string down, and zigzag over it (not catching it) then pulling on the string to make your gathers. Then sew into place.
    That is exactly how I do ruffles on any project with ruffles. For some strange reason, my DGD is terrified of ruffles. She will not wear anything at all with a ruffle. I once made her some jammie pants with ruffles at the feet opening and she had a fit until I cut them off. I can only imagine a quilt for her with ruffles. LOL!!

Blog Entries
    Thats so sad
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter girl
    That is exactly how I do ruffles on any project with ruffles. For some strange reason, my DGD is terrified of ruffles. She will not wear anything at all with a ruffle. I once made her some jammie pants with ruffles at the feet opening and she had a fit until I cut them off. I can only imagine a quilt for her with ruffles. LOL!!
    :cry:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast