Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Would your stash make the floor cave in?

Blog Entries
    I was recently at a discount store in my area called Marden's. Most fabric is about $2.99/yard and they have great stuff. The manager of the fabric department is a friend of mine (as most fabric dept. workers know me by name!) and was telling me about a woman who shops there frequently. VERY frequently. Her sewing room was in an upstairs bedroom above her living room. One day she came home and her sewing room was IN her living room. The floor could not support the weight of all the fabric she had and it caved in!

Would your stash cave your floor in? I keep mine divided in enough places so that it won't!

Fabric is heavy. I keep mine on the ground floor.

Blog Entries
    I don't think so (laughter). I keep using it up and then buying more.

I only have a ground floor thank goodness, but if I got that much stash I would stash it somewhere else not just in 1 room

That could possible happen to me!

I could only wish!

Well, I try to equally distribute my fabric containers on my floor. But, I think I found some new dents from the deformation of the floor joists in the ceiling since my fabric stash moved in on the top floor three months ago. Well, I can't say that I didn't make an impression with moving back home to continue my engineering studies. Better hurry up and relieve the stress on those floor joists, or else I'll be in some trouble. ;0) And by the way, my fabric collection is pretty big, and finally making a bit of a dent in it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not yet! :) I try to keep it separated and now have expanded it to the den downstairs so hopefully it will be o.k.

My sewing room is in the basement, so it shouldn't be a problem!!!

Oh, dear. I never thought about that. Fortunately mine is on the ground floor, cement slab. If it caves in we are in trouble.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Well... funny you should ask...

Some 20 years ago I had my stash in a back bedroom in the apartment I rented. It was an old house - 1930's vintage - upper & lower flats. Plaster walls (not insulated), plaster ceilings. I and my stash were upstairs.

The ceiling of the bedroom directly below my sewing room developed some cracks, and the landlord tried to blame it on my stash.

Hmmm... I only had 100 half-bolts at the time, so...

Weighing it all out, and figuring that the furniture (shelves + sewing machine) that I had weighed about as much as a typical set of bedroom furniture, to say that the stash was the cause of the cracks would have been the same as saying that if four average-sized people were in that room, it would have been sufficient to cause the problem.

'Course... it's not likely that four persons would have STAYED in the back bedroom round-the-clock...

Oh, let's not even GO there!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I couldn't imagine something like that happening. Must have been an old house with weak floors. Plus it would have had to been a crazy amount of fabric.

Blog Entries
    Not something I have to worry about! I only have 3 small shelves on one side of the closet with fabric. My stash is not very big.

I don't have a huge stash, but my quilting room is quite small so I have my stash...stashed in different areas of the upstairs. I don't think I have a problem, but I am hoping to get a lot of sewing done this winter.

Oh no!!! Mine would probably cave in too. But I have a single-story home and fabric in just about every room. Maybe that's why I keep finding new cracks in my concrete floor. :(

I have a single-story, ranch-style home with no basement, so I think I am probably pretty safe. Perhaps it is just as well I don't have a second floor, lol.

I have a close friend who is a Structural Engineer. He pointed out to me that residental housing is not build to support the kind of weight, that a sizable amount of fabric can weigh. It is the weight that is not spread over the entire floor to dispurse the load that is the biggest concern. Shelving loads with fabric will create loads at a very specific point. For example if you have a shelf with four posts the weight is on the exact point where each of the four posts rests. To make matters worse I had it all on one wall ( really not a good thing to do). It was the furthest thing from my mind about the weight of fabric ( and it is heavy if you add it up).
    Anyway... I moved all of my fabric and extensive amount of books to the basement and bought a de-humidifier. Now I can continue to "build" with out worry.

Am I ever glad I decided to store my stash out in the storage shed!!! LOL

Blog Entries
    I don't think so, but my books caused my main joist to bow at my old house - so much so that our kitchen contractor told us to put an extra house jack in.

If my books and piano aren't going to make this house crumble, my fabric surely won't either.

This place was built in 1915 with dimensional lumber which is at least 1 inch bigger than current code.

Mine too ~ thank goodness or it really could be an issue

Quote Originally Posted by Marlys
    My sewing room is in the basement, so it shouldn't be a problem!!!

Blog Entries
    Isn't that what the reinforced floor joists are for??LOL
    Mine is spread out between the main floor and the basement, so hopefully the house won't cave in. If it does, I'll blame it on shoddy workmanship of the builder. Goodness knows I will have lots of support in that claim!

LOL Far from it. Also I think my DH would not let it get to that as he is in the garage with his wood working stuff right beneath my sewing room.

I am glad the lady is ok. that is scary to think of. Maybe I should have made a sewing room down stairs.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Off to check my living room ceiling lol :D

ROFL. Wonder what the husband thought of that.
    No chance to have the floor cave in here...my (small) stash could get
    flooded as my sewing room is in the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Well... funny you should ask...

Some 20 years ago I had my stash in a back bedroom in the apartment I rented. It was an old house - 1930's vintage - upper & lower flats. Plaster walls (not insulated), plaster ceilings. I and my stash were upstairs.

The ceiling of the bedroom directly below my sewing room developed some cracks, and the landlord tried to blame it on my stash.

Hmmm... I only had 100 half-bolts at the time, so...

Weighing it all out, and figuring that the furniture (shelves + sewing machine) that I had weighed about as much as a typical set of bedroom furniture, to say that the stash was the cause of the cracks would have been the same as saying that if four average-sized people were in that room, it would have been sufficient to cause the problem.

'Course... it's not likely that four persons would have STAYED in the back bedroom round-the-clock...

Oh, let's not even GO there!
    I am trying so hard NOT to go there, but it keeps popping back into my head!!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast