Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gel Floor Mats, Recommendations anyone? >

Gel Floor Mats, Recommendations anyone?

Gel Floor Mats, Recommendations anyone?

Old 07-23-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by QM View Post
I have a similar problem. I have had to learn to cut sitting down. It seems to be more work and harder on my shoulders, but my 2 bum knees and a bum ankle are pleased with me. DH bought me the sort of pad used in horses' stalls, but that was not enough for me.
I have a fractured vertebra in my back, as well as the bum knees, so standing for any length of time is out. I, too, have to cut sitting down, and I found that if the cutting table is a little lower, it is more comfortable and I can put more pressure on my rotary cutter.

As for floor mats, I found one at WalMart that is actually 4 pieces that go together like a puzzle. I use two pieces at my kitchen sink and two pieces in front of the washing machine. They come with trim pieces, so the outside edges look smooth. I just put the jagged edges under the toe kick. My kitchen floor is a beige stone, and there has not been any staining.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by QM View Post
I have a similar problem. I have had to learn to cut sitting down. It seems to be more work and harder on my shoulders, but my 2 bum knees and a bum ankle are pleased with me. DH bought me the sort of pad used in horses' stalls, but that was not enough for me.
I used to do all my cutting sitting down. But then I got this great cutting table. I may have to go back to sitting at the dining room table to cut. I use a Martelli cutter and it does not hurt my shoulders to cut with it. I have also had 3 shoulder surgeries and (don't tell anyone) even cut with the Martelli when my arm was in the sling after surgery. I was very careful and did not make long cuts but I did it.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:34 AM

I love my gel mat. It has a basket weave pattern and I got it for $15 at Walmart.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:46 AM

Just a FWIW - My mom bought a couple of the gel mats to use in her shop. After a few days her knee ( only the one that was replaced a few years ago) was absolutely killing her. She ended up going back to the Dr who told her it gave the appearance it had been twisted a bit. She figured she had done that on those mats, where maybe she wasn't making a deliberate move each time to pick her feet up off the mat before repositioning. Needless to say, out went the mats and in came some other shoes with more padded soles. She hasn't had any other issues since then. Good Luck!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

also think of getting a bar stool to sit on. one with a back rest and very comfortable. I sometimes sit in one to cut. I do have some hook together mats but they are thick and not all that pretty. gray in color and they do help me stand longer.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

have you tried a saddle stool on casters? it keeps you at standing height but relieves a lot of the stress on the knees and feet.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:57 PM

I bought two gel mats a Wal-Mart. about $15.00 apiece and they are about 18 inches by 36 inches each. I've not used them for sewing/cutting, but have them in my little galley kitchen, where I spend almost as much time each day as I do on my sewing room, and they are just wonderful. They are so comfortable, and make a huge difference from standing on my hardwood floors.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:25 AM

I find even with mats (bought at Lowe's) I do better in a great pair of shoes. So the combo works best for me. But my cutting table is on the concrete basement floor so I definitely need both. Hardwood floors are hard too; I have mats in my kitchen also.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

What ever mats you purchase, you will also want to change your shoes. So a good mat and couple of good pair of shoes will do your body good. Also change your foot elevation and maybe pick up those inserts. After every couple hours get off your feet no matter what.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:53 AM

I have issues with standing in one place for a long time also. I use 2 Gel Pro mats from Bed, Bath and Beyond on my ceramic floor in the kitchen and in my sewing studio I use a similar mat that I picked up at Costco for under $ 20.00 the floor in the studio is laminate over concrete. I never go barefoot - either shoes with orthotics, orthotic sandals or Berkis !