Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Gel Floor Mats, Recommendations anyone?

Gel Floor Mats, Recommendations anyone?

I am having a lot of trouble standing on my hard floors to cut out fabrics, iron and work in my kitchen. I would love some recommendations of good quality floor mats that I can buy to use so I may work with less foot and knee pain.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Go to Harbor Freight and get the ones made for garages. They're heavy duty and not expensive.

I would like it to look nice too. How do they look? My sewing room is my family room so it can't look to much like a garage

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem View Post
    I would like it to look nice too. How do they look? My sewing room is my family room so it can't look to much like a garage
    They're just basic black. I think they're the same as the ones they make for play rooms but the ones for play rooms are going to cost more.

I've tried a few mats over the years but the best ones are the wellness mats.
    Look at http://www.wellnessmats.com/.

Be careful about some of those mats...they can stain your floor.
    Some are made for industrial purposes...not for the house.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Another place you might look is in restaurant supply stores.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Good shoes make the difference for me. I rather spend the money on shoes than mats. I get more use out of the shoes, and I don't have to look at the ugly mats.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    Good shoes make the difference for me. I rather spend the money on shoes than mats. I get more use out of the shoes, and I don't have to look at the ugly mats.
    I have been wearing the best shoes that my Podiatrist recommended for several years. It is not enough. After foot surgery and 4 knee surgeries, my shoes are a life saver but I need more to be able to stand much. I will probably get one for the kitchen as well because that has also been quite a pain, literally, to stand at the counter and chop and stove to cook.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    I've tried a few mats over the years but the best ones are the wellness mats.
    Look at http://www.wellnessmats.com/.

Be careful about some of those mats...they can stain your floor.
    Some are made for industrial purposes...not for the house.
    I am currently looking at the WellnessMats site to read their comments and check them out. Thank you!

I have a high quality vinyl flooring that looks like real wood (fooled an appraiser) I don't want any staining but it would not show like a light colored vinyl floor might

QM
    I have a similar problem. I have had to learn to cut sitting down. It seems to be more work and harder on my shoulders, but my 2 bum knees and a bum ankle are pleased with me. DH bought me the sort of pad used in horses' stalls, but that was not enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    I have a similar problem. I have had to learn to cut sitting down. It seems to be more work and harder on my shoulders, but my 2 bum knees and a bum ankle are pleased with me. DH bought me the sort of pad used in horses' stalls, but that was not enough for me.
    I have a fractured vertebra in my back, as well as the bum knees, so standing for any length of time is out. I, too, have to cut sitting down, and I found that if the cutting table is a little lower, it is more comfortable and I can put more pressure on my rotary cutter.

As for floor mats, I found one at WalMart that is actually 4 pieces that go together like a puzzle. I use two pieces at my kitchen sink and two pieces in front of the washing machine. They come with trim pieces, so the outside edges look smooth. I just put the jagged edges under the toe kick. My kitchen floor is a beige stone, and there has not been any staining.

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    I used to do all my cutting sitting down. But then I got this great cutting table. I may have to go back to sitting at the dining room table to cut. I use a Martelli cutter and it does not hurt my shoulders to cut with it. I have also had 3 shoulder surgeries and (don't tell anyone) even cut with the Martelli when my arm was in the sling after surgery. I was very careful and did not make long cuts but I did it.

Blog Entries
    I love my gel mat. It has a basket weave pattern and I got it for $15 at Walmart.

Just a FWIW - My mom bought a couple of the gel mats to use in her shop. After a few days her knee ( only the one that was replaced a few years ago) was absolutely killing her. She ended up going back to the Dr who told her it gave the appearance it had been twisted a bit. She figured she had done that on those mats, where maybe she wasn't making a deliberate move each time to pick her feet up off the mat before repositioning. Needless to say, out went the mats and in came some other shoes with more padded soles. She hasn't had any other issues since then. Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    also think of getting a bar stool to sit on. one with a back rest and very comfortable. I sometimes sit in one to cut. I do have some hook together mats but they are thick and not all that pretty. gray in color and they do help me stand longer.

Blog Entries
    have you tried a saddle stool on casters? it keeps you at standing height but relieves a lot of the stress on the knees and feet.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    I bought two gel mats a Wal-Mart. about $15.00 apiece and they are about 18 inches by 36 inches each. I've not used them for sewing/cutting, but have them in my little galley kitchen, where I spend almost as much time each day as I do on my sewing room, and they are just wonderful. They are so comfortable, and make a huge difference from standing on my hardwood floors.
    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

I find even with mats (bought at Lowe's) I do better in a great pair of shoes. So the combo works best for me. But my cutting table is on the concrete basement floor so I definitely need both. Hardwood floors are hard too; I have mats in my kitchen also.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    What ever mats you purchase, you will also want to change your shoes. So a good mat and couple of good pair of shoes will do your body good. Also change your foot elevation and maybe pick up those inserts. After every couple hours get off your feet no matter what.

Blog Entries
    I have issues with standing in one place for a long time also. I use 2 Gel Pro mats from Bed, Bath and Beyond on my ceramic floor in the kitchen and in my sewing studio I use a similar mat that I picked up at Costco for under $ 20.00 the floor in the studio is laminate over concrete. I never go barefoot - either shoes with orthotics, orthotic sandals or Berkis !
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the responses everyone. I may try to order one of the WellnessMats.
    I have been wearing podiatrist fitted orthotics for 12 years. He made me new ones and tweaked them after my foot surgery last year. I never (I can't) walk barefoot, except from bed to carpeted bathroom and wear my orthotics in my running (I can't run) shoes about 98% of the time. After that it is SAS shoes with my orthotics and if I go into a pool I wear a cushioned water sandal.

I ordered this one site to store in red at Wal-Mart and love it!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anti-Fatig...-x-30/14895267