Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: George quilting machine

Has anyone purchased or used a George mid-arm machine? I am interested in purchasing a mid- or long-arm, and am doing research on the best for my needs. As I have arthritis and can't stand for long periods, I was hoping this would fit the bill. I DO like to do free-motion quilting, so it would also be the closest to my regular sewing machine. Thanks for any input you can give!

I don't have one but it sure looks like fun. Larger throat and higher speed for machine quilting sitting down. Hope someone on here knows more about using one, I'll listen in. :D

I played with one at a show and almost cry when I had to let go. It was perfect. Plenty of room on the throat while sitting down. I may cry again now.

Blog Entries
    What were they asking and what did it all include

I think Fons and Porter did an episode during which they shared information about different kinds of machines...and George was one of them. I'm betting that if you go to their website... or your PSB station website that you could hunt down that episode. I only remember that it can do only one thing...quilt...it seems to me that it was a sit-down machine only...but could not be used for other kinds of sewing as it only does straight stithes. I recall that they showed several quilts that had been done on the George by a professional quilter who has one in one of her studios.

Thanks! I will check that out. I know that Pat Sloan uses one - she is a dealer and limited information is on her web site.

PLEASE...am interested in hearing more...

My sister has the sit down model of the HQ16 and loves it! Her only complaint is the table with it needs to be larger but she has found a way around that.

I got to play with it for a bit while visiting her and it really is a nice solution for people who cannot stand at a longarm.

I have a friend who owns a George, and she absolutely loves it. She worked for years quilting on her Bernina, and made the switch recently. I can't say specifically what is good or bad, as it is not mine. But I know she won't give it up. (She quilts professionally.)

Does it have a stitch regulator?
    Sounds like the perfect solution for small areas.
    I bet it is very expensive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast