Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting 'help/instruction' or 'service' for a machine bought 'elsewhere' ?? >

Getting 'help/instruction' or 'service' for a machine bought 'elsewhere' ??

Getting 'help/instruction' or 'service' for a machine bought 'elsewhere' ??

Old 05-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

Default Getting 'help/instruction' or 'service' for a machine bought 'elsewhere' ??

Just wondering - I just read a long thread about the pricing of the Janome 6600 machine - which I found very interesting.

If one buys a machine 'elsewhere; - and wants lessons or service from the nearest place, how are you treated?

Are you treated as well as customers that bought their machine 'at the nearest place'?
or
Are you treated not as well?

Sometimes one is paying 'extra' for 'extended service' and/or instructions/classes - is it worth it?
Old 05-13-2012, 04:06 PM

My Mom purchased a new machine here in IL ... she lives in Buffalo. It was an expensive machine with embroidery. She then went looking for some addtional instruction.... it was not pleasant. The dealers were often rude , and refusing to provide instruction even when she offered to pay. She finally found a dealer giving classes on the same machine , and would let her participate for a price. She went to the class , and several times the instructor made negative comments about machines purchased at other locations. She just knew they intented the comments to her. It was not like she made a internet purchase, this was a brick and mortar store ... and she was willing and did pay for instruction.
It was enough that I would consider not purchasing this manufactures machine based on her experience. What if someone was relocated before they got comfortable with their very large investment, or any other circumstance.
I hope there are others who can report positive experiences ... but after my MOM's experience .. well it gave me pause about who and where I purchase a new machine.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

Soon after I started quilting I went to an Expo at Puyallup and looked at sewing machines. All the dealers there assured me that if I bought from them I could get classes and service locally. I checked with one of the local dealers and was told that their classes were just for their customers. So no, you are not necessarily treated as well elsewhere, at least as far as classes go. I wound up buying another brand of machine locally, and I opted for a service maintenance agreement. When that ran out, I bought another one. I think it is worth the $ to have the option of taking my machine in as often as I want for cleaning, adjusting, etc. and not to worry about what any repair might cost.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:14 PM

Wow...makes me glad I own only old non-computerized machines and work on them myself!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:17 PM

I purchased my Babylock Ellisimo at Nancy's Notions in Wisconsin and was given a certificate that my local dealer, Jones Sewing, honored. I had three individual classes with my new machine....I did have to bring it with me as they did not have that particular machine in stock. The staff could not have been more pleasant and helpful. I had a very positive experience.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:36 PM

It is very important to check out your prospective dealer you plan to buy from. I was treated very well, by my dealer when I went in to "investigate" to buy my expensive machine. But afterwards, for the training, not so well. They have a good repair person, but I am not happy with the customer service connected with learning all my machine can do.

Another sewing machine store has since opened in my area. It is a different company entirely. If I had not already purchased my machine, I would absolutely buy from this company, They are so willing to teach and offer any help they can, to help you become comfortable with your machine. Kathleenq
Old 05-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Power Poster

This is the thread that 'inspired' my question:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t157878.html