Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ggrrrr... cut through fabric >

ggrrrr... cut through fabric

ggrrrr... cut through fabric

Old 03-27-2014, 09:14 AM

Default ggrrrr... cut through fabric

as i was squaring my bob the builder quilt (which i was planning to bind with the backing fabric), i cut the backing fabric *insert emote-icon of me banging my head on a wall*

i felt so stupid. especially because i was just thinking to myself, "be careful, there's a spot coming up where you might cut the backing if you're not careful"... well i cut the fabric BEFORE i even got the to the "be careful" area. ggrrrr.

so. i put it down and walked away.

i went to bed and screamed into the pillow.

this morning i decided that i will take this opportunity to attempt a two-color binding of the blue and yellow fabric i have... blue on the yellow and yellow on the blue.
i've already cut the fabric for the binding. tonight, if this headache goes away... i will go for a run and then give the binding a shot.

oy vey!!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 AM

My usual trick is to use the fabric that I had intended for binding, in another project before the first gets to the binding stage. I seem to constantly be looking for other options for binding. We need to look at mistakes like this as opportunities to be creative, rather than mistakes

Good luck with your "opportunity" to try a new technique!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

It will be wonderful and maybe it is meant to be! Banging your head against the wall will only give you a concussion and big bill from the hospital. It can be fixed. Often we have to take a different road and maybe that's what the man upstairs wants you to do.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

​I feel your pain! Sometimes I wish I had an undo button.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:27 AM

the funny thing is that i was toying with the idea of a two-color binding from the beginning... but i didn't want to jinx myself by making it more complicated than it needed to be lol

i really think it will look nice... but i'm just mad at myself because i was thinking the EXACT WORDS of being careful when i saw i had cut through it... gggrrr lol
Old 03-27-2014, 11:33 AM

Oh, I HATE that.

I once had a fresh bolt of black fabric on my cutting table....and very foolishly left it there while I did some "quick" cutting....and rolled my fresh-bladed rotary cutter quite firmly, right into the side of the bolt and made a slit that went through 6 layers of fabric. Ohhhh, the words I said that day!!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:38 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Are you doing the flange binding? Or just two colors separate? Are you going to sew one color to the other at the ends and make it two colors THAT way? I'm confused, but I'm curious as to your two color binding. Thanks, Jeanne
Old 03-27-2014, 12:01 PM

There's a few links on this. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t212800.html
Old 03-27-2014, 12:17 PM

I feel your pain, please dont bang your head on wall, that will only cause more pain, maybe you were meant to do a two colour binding, whatever you decide I'm sure it will look beautuful, post a pic of what you decide.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
My usual trick is to use the fabric that I had intended for binding, in another project before the first gets to the binding stage. I seem to constantly be looking for other options for binding. We need to look at mistakes like this as opportunities to be creative, rather than mistakes
I am always running short of fabric on a quilt so I understand your pain. Yes, the old saying comes to mind about lemons and lemonade !! NONE of us are perfect !!