Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Giving quilts >

Giving quilts

Giving quilts

Old 06-12-2014, 04:33 AM

My motivation comes from targeting the quilt...whether it be for myself, a family member of for donation. Having a purpose or a deadline seems essential for me to keep moving along with enthusiasm. Sometimes as a quilt progresses I change my mind about where it's going and I never worry about the quilt after it's placed with someone else. My joy is in making the quilt. There's double joy in giving it, but if the receiver thinks it would be better passed along to yet someone else, or to a pet......THAT'S OK! I don't think the garbage has ever been a destination.

Last edited by lsmft; 06-12-2014 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

I have had good luck giving away quilts. They have either liked them or were very good at hiding it if they didn't.
I have twenty ready to donate to a charity or chemo patients. I don't know how much luck I will have. I just make quilts because that is what I love to do. All my kids, Grandkids and Great Grandkids have several. One Granddaughter doesn't like quilts, she has several. All friends and family have quilts. Time to find others that may need a quilt. Always my choice. I make guy colors for the guys, most don't care about the colors.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:15 AM

I've done both. Started my first Bargello a little while ago simply because I'd always wanted to make one. I was recently talking to my eldest grandson who lives on the other side of the country and decided he will get this quilt. All my firsts have gone to Grands.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:36 AM

I am working on a wedding quilt for a man I've worked with for 15+ years (let's call him "T") who is finally marrying his long term girlfriend "R" (whom we've also worked with for 8+ years), but of course I have no idea what their bedroom looks like. We have another coworker that married T's cousin so they socialize a lot. So I sent Coworker #2 on a "covert mission" to scope out T & R's bedroom and report back to me on bed size and colors in the room! So now I am making them a Carpenter's Star queen size quilt in blues and browns and I'm 100% sure it'll go with their bedroom colors and fit on their bed....as long as they don't decide to redecorate after the wedding! (I don't think they will, I know they just got all new furniture in there 2 years ago...but you never know!)

T has asked me if I would make him a quilt in the past, so I'm pretty confident the gift will be appreciated, at least by him. (I don't know R very well, she works in a different department, but I THINK she'll like it.) I can't wait to get it done and give it to them!
Old 06-12-2014, 05:41 AM

All my quilts are given as gifts. What I do is slyly ask their favorite colors, style, etc. Then down the road I made a quilt with these specifics that way they're not the wiser as they've forgotten I even asked them months/years ago. Right now I'm working on a quilt for a couple at my congregation. I asked the hubby what his wife's favorite colors are and style. He told me browns and blues, absolutely no lime greens or florals which was a hard one as so many of our fabrics seem to have flowers on them somewhere. But I'm working on Bonnie Hunter's Smith Mountain and I made the mistake of counting how many pieces to it. I enlarged the pattern to make it 108 x 108 and rearranged some of it. Still trimming all the little sections which I hate............TRIMMING is the most boring job of making quilts in my opinion for what its worth.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:17 AM

My sentiments exactly!

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I make quilts for me because I love to make quilts. When an opportunity comes along to give one a new home, it is sent with love and off it goes to a new place. I never fret about it again. I would never be able to gift a quilt if I thought that way.

I never concern myself with wether a quilt will be liked or not. I am not responsible for other peoples feelings towards my work.

I don't believe I was ment to be permanently atached to my quilts. My love and enjoyment is in the making of the quilt, not what happens to it one month from nowor five years in the future.

If one of my quilts has kept a dog warm, my job is done!
peace
Old 06-12-2014, 07:13 AM

I just start the quilt I want to make and as family and friends see it in each stage, I listen to the comments and use them to decide who wants it most. I am currently working on a Christmas quilt that a very good friend has fallen in love with, so I just keep telling her that it is for a very dear friend. (She has no idea that she is the very dear friend.) It's fun to watch her drool. You'd think she might guess the truth since her birthday is this month....she is clueless. I decided to make it a "blessing quilt". Everyone who has been in my house for the last month has tied a knot on this tied quilt, and said a small blessing as they did so. She will have her own quilt full of warm wishes from her friends.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by nanac View Post
I make a quilt for my family reunion every year, which is raffled off to pay for the next year's reunion. Last year, I made a lovely Log Cabin, which took a lot of time, because I had multiple things all going on at the same time. The person who purchased the winning ticket told me a few days later that she was not a quilt person, because it looked "too homemade". She went on to say that she would probably put it in her next garage sale, if somebody else wanted to buy it.
At first, I was crushed at her comments, but then I thought, "I hope someone else does end up with the quilt", because I don't think she deserves it.. And I also realized that even though it wasn't to HER taste, it was hers to do with as she chose. I hope I would have been a little more tactful about it, but I really hope whoever ended up with it will enjoy it.
why do people have to be so blunt...no filter! What ever happened to "thank you very much" and do what you want with it!
Old 06-20-2014, 07:51 PM

Last year or 2 years ago, I made my great aunt a TATW in butterfly fabric - many varied butterfly fabrics and backed with more butterfly fabric. She LOVES it and shows it off to everyone and brags about how I made it especially for her. I love her reaction since it has some creative fixes to some problem areas but she doesn't see them. She only the sees the love. It is also the only quilt anyone ever made for her although she was a prolific quilter who gifted many quilts to others.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:36 AM

I'm a prolific quilter with a HUGE extended family. (I was the youngest of nine kids.) Every time I post a new quilt finish on my facebook page it's met with a chorus of "That one is mine." type comments from sisters, nephews, nieces, etc. So if I needed a clue who might like to receive a particular finished quilt, I could make a note from those and pin it to the quilt for future reference. LOL! But my favorite experience was when my teenage grandson was due for a new quilt for his bed. His last one was looking a bit on the juvenile side now that he's old enough to drive, so I was asking him what he might like for the colors of a new one. When he said he wanted blue, I asked if that would go with the decor in his room. His dad (my son) said "If he gets a new quilt from YOU, we match the decor to the quilt, not the other way around!" And my grandson said "That is for certain, Gramma! We love your quilts!" So I worked a comprimise, and did the quilt in blues and tans, and kept it modern enough to suit the mom while keeping her tan walls. I think everyone ended up happy on that one.