Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Giving quilts >

Giving quilts

Giving quilts

Old 06-11-2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I was told by the mom "great! She likes Hello Kitty and he likes Monster University." So I was kind of sorry I asked first. I prefer to give quilts that can be loved for years. These kind of themes seem only appropriate for young children.
If it were me, I would take the primary colors in these " themes " and use those to make a quilt.

For Hello Kitty I would use different light / bright / hot pinks, white and black

For Monster University I would go with bold primary colors

Then for the label I would put something like " Hello Childs Name " and " For My Little Monster " or something like that !
Old 06-11-2014, 02:06 PM

I have done this different ways... I have started with my nieces in mind and worked just with that.. then others I have no real idea what I am doing. Then later get inspired who to give it to
Old 06-11-2014, 03:54 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
If it were me, I would take the primary colors in these " themes " and use those to make a quilt.

For Hello Kitty I would use different light / bright / hot pinks, white and black

For Monster University I would go with bold primary colors

Then for the label I would put something like " Hello Childs Name " and " For My Little Monster " or something like that !
thank you...those are good ideas! I have some Hello Kitty and Monster fabric and thought I'd use some of that on the back
Old 06-11-2014, 04:55 PM

Most of my quilts are made because the pattern caught my eye. I also take quite a few classes at the LQS. Usually when someone (my children or grandchildren) see a quilt and like it, they ask for it. I usually only give quilts to family, and once they are gifted, I don't know what happens to them.
Sue
Old 06-11-2014, 05:02 PM

I have always had these questions too and what I do is make what I want to make and then later if someone likes it give it. I will make someone a quilt if they tell me the color they like and that is it. I like to make the quilts I want to gift and not be given an exact thing to replicate.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I make quilts for me because I love to make quilts. When an opportunity comes along to give one a new home, it is sent with love and off it goes to a new place. I never fret about it again. I would never be able to gift a quilt if I thought that way.

I never concern myself with wether a quilt will be liked or not. I am not responsible for other peoples feelings towards my work.

I don't believe I was ment to be permanently atached to my quilts. My love and enjoyment is in the making of the quilt, not what happens to it one month from nowor five years in the future.

If one of my quilts has kept a dog warm, my job is done!
peace
What a great attitude!!
Old 06-12-2014, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
make what I want to make and then later if someone likes it give it.
I had to laugh when I read that part, because I ALWAYS take my finished quilts to my Grandmothers house to show them to her when they are done, and she ALWAYS likes them all, so she would be overwhelmed with quilts LOL , not that she would mind that either !
Old 06-12-2014, 03:34 AM

I generally only make quilts for family. I try to notice what colors they wear. If I am in their home I notice what colors of bedspreads, carpets, wall décor, etc. they have and try to figure out what sort of décor and color they like. If they don't seem to care for quilts, I make something else such as pillows, dish towels, mug rugs, maybe a throw or something I think they will use. If I know they don't care for quilted stuff I may make jelly or seasoning mixes, cookie mixes, etc. If you are around them very much you usually know if they would treasure a quilt or not.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:42 AM

When I set out to make quilts for my nephews' graduations last year, I tried to work with what interest I knew they had. My brother's son,is a country boy through and through. He loves the outdoors, hunting and fishing, so I found a quilt kit using a older fabric line from Moda- Henry's fishing lodge, or something to that effect. I used Minnesota fabrics,others that had that 'up north' feel to them and blenders that had a masculine feel to them.
My brother's step son, however was raised in the city, plays electric guitar and all things 'edgy'. His quilt had skulls, guitars, flames and some Beatles fabric I happened to have in my stash.
Both quilts suited the recipient.
Sometimes, however, when I'm making a quilt, I find I can't stop thinking about a certain person, or I realize I need a nice gift for someone at that point in time. That's how many of my quilts find a home.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:12 AM

If I am making a quilt for one of my grandkids I let them take part in the planning of it. The last one I made my granddaughter for her 9th BD was a special request by her. She wanted an I spy quilt...."NO PINK!" in it. So I made it with everything she likes, sports, etc. It was tough making it girlie with no pink, but she was thrilled with it. I have taken them along to choose some of the fabric, and then work around it to make it something really special. I mostly make charity quilts that are given to tornado victims, etc. So those are just made with my love put into them. If a family member shows no interest in quilts, they will not be getting a quilt from me. I want them to appreciate it and all the love and work that went into it. Most people have no clue.