Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Glue basting question >

Glue basting question

Glue basting question

Old 06-02-2014, 08:22 AM

Default Glue basting question

I have tried placing dots or thin lines of glue to baste, but I have arthritis in my hands and squeezing the glue over a queen sized quilt can be quite painful. Spraying would be easier, I think. For those who dilute the glue and spray (elmers or other washable), how much do you dilute it by? Can you fill a large spray bottle and use it over time or would that ruin the spray nozzle? Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:00 AM

I have found it tough to get it to go through a spray bottle. I solve the arthritis issue by dumping some glue in a plastic bowl. I dilute it a little bit and then paint it on using either a cheap sponge paint brush or a small roller sponge. I paint better than I squeeze.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

Generally those who spray baste use *basting spray* 501 is a popular brand, there are other brands to choose from too just make sure you get, washable basting spray made for fabrics not spray adhesive... Which dries hard and is not really made for fabric.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:10 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t247358-3.html

Here's a link to another thread about glue basting. Take a look at post #21. She says she dilutes hers 50/50. I also have RA, but I still use glue straight from the bottle. I may need to try diluting as well. One thing is for sure - I'll never go back to thread or pin basting ever again. :-)
Old 06-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

I would dilute the glue in a bowl, 1:1 with water, and use a small roller painting brush to roll the glue on the batting. Someone recently posted that this was very easy and fast!

I would not try diluting and spraying the glue on. Aside from the problem of the glue gumming up the sprayer, the repeated squeezing of the trigger to dispense the glue is very hard on the hands.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I would dilute the glue in a bowl, 1:1 with water, and use a small roller painting brush to roll the glue on the batting. Someone recently posted that this was very easy and fast!

I would not try diluting and spraying the glue on. Aside from the problem of the glue gumming up the sprayer, the repeated squeezing of the trigger to dispense the glue is very hard on the hands.
Do you put the batting down and then glue it and then place the quilt back on top of that, smoothing it out and when dry do you turn it over and do the same thing with the front? I have not tried this yet but would like to after I gain enough knowledge and courage to do so. Sorry, but I need a detailed explanation. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. sharon
Old 06-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grammasharon View Post
Do you put the batting down and then glue it and then place the quilt back on top of that, smoothing it out and when dry do you turn it over and do the same thing with the front? I have not tried this yet but would like to after I gain enough knowledge and courage to do so. Sorry, but I need a detailed explanation. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. sharon
grammasharon - that is how I do it, on my dining room table. I start in the middle. If you put glue basting or Elmers or some combination in the search function above, I'm betting you will get many many responses because we have talked about this a lot recently. There have been a lot of different threads started. It doesn't take much courage, really, once you get an idea of it. So much easier than pins, thread, or spray, all of which I have tried and won't use again. Try it once on something small, let it dry, test it out on your machine and then wash it out. See how you like it.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grammasharon View Post
What I recommend is that you mark the center of each edge before you start. Lay batting down, then lay backing down; having the centers marked will help you get the two layers centered on each other.

Once you are satisfied with the layout, peel back the top half of the backing onto itself, so the top half of the batting is showing. Spread the glue on that top half of the batting. Smooth the backing back over that half, lifting and smoothing with your hand until you are satisfied that the glued half is smooth. (On a large quilt, it can be helpful to use a yardstick to help smooth from the center out to the edges.)

Once you are satisfied with that half, peel back the backing from the bottom half of the sandwich. Spread glue, then smooth the backing back into place on that second half.

Doing it like this makes it *much* easier to get the layers centered and smooth without a lot of fuss.

Flip the sandwich over so that batting is again on top, and repeat the process with the quilt top -- making sure to match centers and get it all laid out the way you want. Peel back the top halfway, and repeat the glueing process on that side.

You want to wait at least overnight to make sure that the glue dries completely before you start quilting. Or, you can iron the quilt sandwich to speed up the drying process. Ironing also compresses the batting, which can make it easier to stuff the quilt bulk underneath the arm of your machine.

If you notice a wrinkle after the glue has dried, you can spray the area with water to reactivate the glue. It's much better, though, to examine both sides carefully while the glue is still wet to make sure that you don't have to go to that kind of trouble later.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:14 PM

I do mine just Prism99, and using the yard stick really helps. I will never go back to pinning.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:23 PM

Last time I used glue basting I just drizzled it out of the glue bottle. Just thin wiggly drizzles, not all over, just some here, some there. If there was an occasional blob, I smoothed it with my finger, keeping a damp paper towel nearby. Then I ironed it to dry it, and moved on to the next section. It worked fine. And I didn't have any trouble quilting it nor did it come loose.