Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yesterday's discovery >

Yesterday's discovery

Yesterday's discovery

Old 05-26-2014, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady View Post
I haven't used the glue method yet. Does it "gunk up" on your needle when sewing or is this just used for hand sewing?
It does not gunk up your needle. Even if it were wet, it wouldn't hurt, as it would soon dry and be just as sticky as flour. It would wipe right off.

I dilute the glue at least half with water, spread it onto the batting going very quickly back and forth about three or four inches apart, wipe over these lines quickly with my finger, and smooth the quilt top or back over that. Works like a charm.
I do a strip across the quilt about one sixth to one fourth of the quilt at a time, starting in the middle.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:59 AM

I think we all need stock in Elmers washable school glue...............it is just wonderful now with your idea it even makes it better.............if you have not tried it go for it.........the best way to sandwich a quilt.....I even did a queen size and baby quilts just fly together over the ironing board.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:22 AM

I will try this.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:30 AM

I never heard of or thought of glue basting and can't wait to try it. Thanks to all who offered input on this topic. And now a question, has anyone else ever wondered, why doesn't glue stick to the inside of its bottle??????
Old 05-26-2014, 07:32 AM

When you use Elmers washable school glue to baste your quilts do you apply the glue every 3 to 4 inches as if you were using thread? Do you tape it to the floor to keep everything square....I see someone used the ironing board. Is this a regular ironing board or a quilters ironing board. I like to sew my binding on when we travel. No more pins to keep track of!
Old 05-26-2014, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing a very good idea for sandwiching quilts.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:25 AM

The little roller is the fuzzy type, and it does absorb the glue, but it is so small (3" long) that you don't end up wasting glue. What I found to be so good about this little guy is that you can spread the glue right along the side of the batting just like you would with a line of paint. When I am done I just wash it out and take off the lint that accumulates on the roller. I had my DH doing the squeezing of the bottle yesterday and his comment was "this is so stupid, why don't you use the spray" - I told him it was too damned expensive and the vapor really bothered me. I just love it when he comments about quilting.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:24 AM

I have never glue basted and I'm feeling quite "behind"! This is something I will definitely try. I am wondering about spraying thinned glue.......what ratio of glue/water is used to make it easy to spray? I like the roller idea too.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
The little roller is the fuzzy type, and it does absorb the glue, but it is so small (3" long) that you don't end up wasting glue. What I found to be so good about this little guy is that you can spread the glue right along the side of the batting just like you would with a line of paint. When I am done I just wash it out and take off the lint that accumulates on the roller. I had my DH doing the squeezing of the bottle yesterday and his comment was "this is so stupid, why don't you use the spray" - I told him it was too damned expensive and the vapor really bothered me. I just love it when he comments about quilting.
Honestly this is such a good idea that leads to the question. "Why didn't I think of that". Thanks so much for sharing. I'm a fan of Elmer's school glue as well. I also like the spray bast but hate the smell and the cost.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
Yes, we are glue basting our quilts with washable school glue such as Elmer's. I don't spread the glue but rather put it in thin stream over the batting of the quilt. I don't have globs generally doing this but if I do at the beginning I just spread it out with my finger. I have never tried spreading it out with a paint brush or as suggested here a paint roller. There are some issues with hands getting tired squeezing the bottle but once the bottle is getting near empty I switch to another bottle which is easier to squeeze and then drain the glue from the old bottle into a less empty bottle. I also store my closed bottle of glue upside down as suggested here on this board by someone which eliminates the dried glue in the nozzle that occurs once you use the bottle. I like the glue basting over spray basting because there are no fumes or over spray which makes it much neater to use. I have not had any issues with it gumming up my machine. It is dry when by the time you are quilting. I also use it to hold my binding in place while I'm hand sewing the back. No pins to stick me!
Wow thank you for responding. I use Glue Baste for all my hand appliqué (which I'm sure is just Elmer's) but I never thought of trying it for an basting a quilt. Has anyone used it for a quilt that was hand quilted? I'm curious how that worked. I've been on the 505 bandwagon forever but it's so expensive! I tried a cheaper one and hated it. That quilt is stuffed in a box, half quilted, waiting for me to get the ambition to tackle the rest.