Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
gluing a broken ruler >

gluing a broken ruler

gluing a broken ruler

Old 05-01-2014, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

Default gluing a broken ruler

Has anyone done this successfully? What did you use? Any other tips?

I've had this Mercury ruler for many years but have not used it. With all the talk of hexies, and my quilting bee friends doing hexies, I got it out to show them. My mistake was to lay it on the empty passenger seat. So it broke at the weakest point. I'm thinking of using super glue. But I'm worried that the glue will stick out in places causing the ruler to not lay flat. It was suggested to position it between two other rulers with a protective wax paper, or such, under the crack and glue it that way. Then take a razor blade to shave off any drippy bumps. I'm not even sure that super glue would be strong enough on acrylic rulers.
TIA for all of your advice.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]473807[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]473808[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20140430_084616.jpg   20140501-broken-ruler-close-up.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 05:38 AM

Guess you could try clear contact paper. And maybe place it on both sides of the ruler. Guess after a while, plastic just gets brittle.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:49 AM

My granddaughter stood on my extension table once and it snapped into 2 pieces - I bought special glue for acrylics to fix it. The glue wasn't cheap but it did do the trick.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

BUMMER! I used Crazy Glue on my 15 inch square when it broke in half. I laid it upside down on the table and put a piece of clear packing tape on the crack. I then turned it right side up and used the packing tape like a hinge as I put a bead of Crazy Glue along the crack. I immediately put the ruler flat on the table and held it flat until the glue dried. I am still using the ruler since I posted about it 2 years ago?

I would suggest the clear packing tape on the back where yours is broken as well. I figured if the packing tape stuck with the glue, it wouldn't effect seeing through the ruler. After you have the packing tape on and the ruler looks aligned, bend it open just a bit being careful not to snap the other end and run a bead of Crazy Glue along the crack. I did mine on my old arbourite table in case I had a glue over run but I didn't need it with the packing tape on the back. Hold the edges fiat on the table until the glue sets.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:34 AM

I would try a crazy glue type glue and try and glue mostly from the "top". Wipe any residue with wax paper, then lay on a flat hard surface covered in waxed paper to dry.. Also, you might be able to sand any glue residue that remains on the underside with a heavy dish scrubber.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:35 AM

I broke my june tailor ruler and used some plastic glue (small tube) and clear packing tape to repair. I do change the tape every so often and treat the ruler gently.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

I used to do some crafting with acrylic sheets back in the 80's. I would use glue specifically formulated for acrylic. It doesn't glue the acrylic, it actually melts it and then fuses it together. If you have access to a granite counter, I would lay several sheets of cooking parchment down, lay the ruler on top, follow the adhesive instructions (it will get drawn into the crack by capillary action) and add a few more layers of parchment & a bit of weight. The granite counter will keep the ruler perfectly flat. The bond will form pretty quickly, but you want to wait a couple days before using it.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:53 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I guess id factor in if it would it be cheaper to buy the special bonding agent ( dont forget the time plus other supplies like parchment paper/wax paper or just buy a new ruler ??

Sorry to hear what happened.. that stinks especially if its your fav ruler..
Old 05-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Thanks, all, for the advice. I just went 'shopping' online and found the acrylic glue to be quite expensive for the tiny dot of it I would need. I think I will try Tartan and QuiltNama's method. I was reading that crazy/super glue is not recommended only because it can cloud up. That shouldn't be a concern for my small break. I had previously shopped for a ruler like this for a friend... it seems it is no longer readily available and expensive where you can find it.

Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:48 AM

Nan I use the E6000 glue for making jewelry and other items and it works good. I think the tape idea on one side to open it up is a great idea.