Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Grace Machine Quilting Frame

Does anyone out there have one of these? I am waiting on the delivery of the GMQ Pro. The juki machine, stitch regulator and all kinds of other goodies started arriving today. What am I in for as far as learning curve? Any words from the wise?

Thanks!

Scott

Scott, I have had a GMQ Pro frame since just before Christmas. After months of research I chose the Bailey mid-arm quilter and so far I like it. The problems I had were not with the frame or machine...they were with the old lady who was playing "Speed demon" on the controls. But once I realized that breaking needles and thread is all a part of the learning process, and took my foot off the gas, I began to get along pretty well with it.

I was not sure that age 73 was a good time to invest in this equipment but I was tired of paying to have the quilting done. I want to do it myself. I now think I am on my way....to getting the hang of it.

June -

I am so impressed by you, and we just met. I really admire you for taking on the challenge of the frame, machine quilting, etc.

I've heard that breaking needles comes from speeding. I will have to remember my Grandmother when I start learning. She allowed me to drive her oldsmobile on dirt roads while vacationing at her cabin. I was 14 at the time.

Feed a little gas now. Now brake a little, now brake a little, Scott!!

Have you finished a quilt yet?

Scott

Oh yes, I took the first "real quilt" off the frame on Monday and put the binding on. As I was making it and breaking thread, I decided this would not have a label or be given to any of the Charities I like to make quilts for. As I was sewing the binding it occured to me that I needed to put it on my bed, so I could admire it and say" don't forget you did this wrong" and need to correct it on the next one. I had another "dumb" quilt that was made of 3" squares in a Trip Around the World design. It was great for practice, i made circles and curly-ques in each block. Then I made flowers and anything else that came to my mind. It has some skipped areas where the thread broke and no stitching took place. I will put it back on the frame someday and add to it. But it was purely "lesson #1" and not for show and tell. It is my Secret!

Do one thing at a time and learn at your own pace. And above all else, ENJOY being able to finish your own quilts in a lot less time. Just think of all the money you will save. I am keeping track until I know I have paid for my equipment with my own work.

That's great. Congrats on finishing the first one. You've got a health attitude about learning.

My investment was $2500. I bet I could get more than a handful of quilts quilted for that amount.

What pushed me into the purchase was having just about ruining my shoulders and neck passing a King quilt through my Janome 6600P. I love that machine, but quilting a king sized quilt with a moderate batting was brutal. I'm 44 years old, in good shape, active, etc. I am still suffering from a sore neck, shoulders, and numb hands from that project.

Hey there,
    I don't have a machine quilting frame but do have a Grace hand quilting frame.
    The Grace Co. are a very reliable company. I called about a couple of pieces that hadn't traveled well and they were replaced immediately with no questions. They also sent along a dvd that answered a lot of questions. The Grace Co. is a very consumer friendly company so don't hesitate to ask them for help if you need any.

Thanks Yvonne. That's good to hear.

Scott

I have a Grace frame. I bought it on Craig's list from a lady that became unable to use it. (health reasons).

I have only made 5 quilts to date and do not understand how someone can live without a frame. I would never be able to quilt without Grace.

Santa brought me a Juki TL 98Q. I have only quilted one quilt so far with the new machine. So much faster tham my Bernina that I used to use with Grace. Nina and Gracie did well together but I think Juki and Gracie will be an even better team!

Almost ready to put # 2 on and get started.

Good luck with yours!

Hi Two Dudes!

Thanks for the encouragement. The Juki came yesterday, and I am using it to piece a quilt top that I had started. That thing soars! How about the construction of those presser feet?

I can't wait for the frame to come. I have three very simple quilt kits, all alike, that I can throw together for practice. Well, won't blow the first time on a quilt, but you get the drift. These are lap robes, so they won't take much to comlete.

Thanks again, and good luck on Number two.

Scott

Do you mind me asking what brand of thread you are using?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast