Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grrr ... Janome 6600 jamming >

Grrr ... Janome 6600 jamming

Grrr ... Janome 6600 jamming

Old 01-19-2012, 05:44 PM

Default Grrr ... Janome 6600 jamming

Argh!! I was sewing and all of sudden ka-chunk ka-chunk! It was all my fault, I was making a turn (straight stitch quilting) and wanted to put the needle down just slightly behind where the stitch ended. So I lifted the presser foot slightly, repositioned my fabric, dropped the needle then the foot - now note there was a slight loop of thread because I backed up - then started sewing. Yeah, yeah yeah ... I was in a hurry because I was just doing a practice sandwich and I didn't think much of it. 2 or 3 stitches in and ka-chunk ka-chunk and it siezed. Naturally I had a rats nest on the back of the fabric.

Ripped the machine apart, cleaned the machine out (I had cleaned it out fairly recently - less than 1/2 bobbin ago), found a few pieces of thread from this event - had to pull one out with a tweezers. I even got the flashlight and magnifying glass out.

I've looked and looked and looked and it's still seizing. I can't even pull the thread up from the bobbin after loading - I can feel it getting caught in the works just to the left of the needle.

I'm wondering now if the initial seizure it had threw something out of whack. I may have to take it in to the dealer!!!

SOOO FRUSTRATING!!!

Ok ... wait. Back to basics. I'm going to go back in there now, take spool of thread off the machine, re-thread it, re-thread the bobbin, and see if it works.

fingers crossed ......
Old 01-19-2012, 05:49 PM

Good Luck! My 6500 does goofy little things like that every now and then. Usually if I can't fix it within a few tries, I just leave it alone over night and those little gremlins disappear during the night! I hope that happens for you.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 PM

whew!!! Oh yes!!

Kicking self ... how many times have *i* told people to always ALWAYS re-thread the machine at the top if a jam continues ... so why didn't I do that before I started fretting?
Old 01-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

I am glad it worked out.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:02 PM

I took my 7700 for a drive to the other side of town when it missbehaved, and when I got there it decided to behave itself It must of liked the drive
Old 01-20-2012, 06:03 PM

Sometimes if you deprive it of power for a couple of minutes it decides to behave...PLEASE don't ask me how I know!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:34 PM

I smiled when I read your post, momto5! I've had my 6600 just over a week now - ran into the same problem when trying different types of threads....and after clearing several jams it dawned on me I needed to rethread....its worked great since then Thx for the smile!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:46 PM

Almost without fail when my Janome 6600 gets those thread nests it's because the thread jumped out of the thread take up. Now that's the first place I look!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:23 PM

I threaten my machine, when it messes up that I will drop kick it to the curb and it just magically seems to behave after that. Janome's do not like to be dirty or linty, so clean them often.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:28 PM

Rethread everything, top and bottom.
Turn off/on.
I have barely had the problem since I started using Thread Connection threads.
Use a new needle.
Make sure all screws are tightened.
Be sure the bobbin area is really cleaned well.
Next time, be sure to use a stilletto, chopstick or something similar to hold those pesky threads out of the way on the bottom.
Ask me how I know.